Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

• 4 weeks later...

I can't say I've sever seen this kit before, and I think I've only ever seen one other kit labeled as both Craft Master and MPC, but the crazy car thing was rampant during the late '60s and this one would not be held back:

Wow, I waded through this whole thread (whew) a lot of kits I have never seen before,and some that brought back memories.

The bird kits and the owl. I had some of those when I was a kid.

I didn't see this one though. I actually bought one several years ago.It's supposed to be motorized,so there's not a lot of detail.

It goes together easily.

T2eC16NHJHgE9n0yEipFBQ351opwng60_57.jpg

Wow, The 66 Imperial pickup truck is of a real car. The real car is in a junk yard in Hortonville, WI The Junk yard used the car as there small parts hauler in the 60's and early 70's. Didn't know there was a model of it? Also the Chrysler boat, I have one. I got it in about 1970 from the local Chrysler Dealer in Hartford WI, where the Chrysler Outboard was built. Harned Motors the local Chrysler/Plymouth & Dodge Dealer in Hartford had a big show with all the Chrysler Boats and motors the were built by Chrysler at the time. To the familys of Chrysler Outboard, they all got the model of the Chrysler Boat with outboard. Still have it today.

kit009.jpg

kit013.jpg

kit021.jpg

My son has a real 1:1 '81 z28 convertible. I would have never guessed that they ever mde a model of one. His is white with a blue interior - simply a beautiful car with the top down. They don't look so cool with the top up, but hey - it IS a convertible. I know that there were not a lot produced which makes me wonder at a model???? Cool!!!!!

Edited by impcon

I'm not even sure what to think about this one. Is this a legit box? Is that Fidel Castro?? :blink: Just wow:

I believe that is actually who it's supposed to be- what it had to do with the car or kit? No idea on that...

Other than the weird box art, this is the same as the oft-reissued '65 Connie kit most of us are familiar with.

I'm not even sure what to think about this one. Is this a legit box? Is that Fidel Castro?? :blink: Just wow:

That was part of the same series as the 'Che Riviera' '65 Riviera box art, I believe. I guess it was one of those 'you had to be there' things from before my time.

Edited by Rob Hall

65WAGON-vi.jpg

Totally legit!

I love those 60s era politically questionable (to some) boxes. Round2 could do some fun ones now with the Ayatollah or something. There were a few dealing with the communist regime in Cuba. They also had the Mexico rally boxes with phrases such as "what, me hurry?" On the decal sheet - what? People in Mexico are laid back?...

Wow, I waded through this whole thread (whew) a lot of kits I have never seen before,and some that brought back memories.

The bird kits and the owl. I had some of those when I was a kid.

I didn't see this one though. I actually bought one several years ago.It's supposed to be motorized,so there's not a lot of detail.

It goes together easily.

T2eC16NHJHgE9n0yEipFBQ351opwng60_57.jpg

I've seen this on Ebay. Been tempted to buy it, but not sure about the prices I've seen it for plus international shipping. <_<

"Beard Of Paradise" was my First 65 Lincoln kit.

I have another unbuilt in the stash

How about the Boarder Patrol issue of AMT's 53 F-1 Pickup, & Tijuana Police issue of their 49 Ford??

I still have the built 49. Molded in yellow.

I have 3 of the Desert Race series.

"Boondock Bomber" 59 Buick hardtop,

'Tourista Turismo' 62 Galaxie hardtop

"El Ranchero Grande" 62 Falcon Ranchero

Still have the Ranchero box too.

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Manuel,

The spinner gun received a "welding tip" of plastic. The spinning created heat via friction. The welding tip melted into the two pieces to be joined. Put a new tip on when the old one was used up. A single tip would make about a 3" long bead. It was not that hard with a little practice. I think I was 12 or 13 when I built mine.

Scott