Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

I bought one in '99 or so, and cut the body up to make a Funny Car. The kit itself is typical "can-be-motorized" '70s Japanese, which is to say the body is accurate for the most part, but everything else you can immediately see (engine, chassis, interior, etc.) is kind if generic and half-thought out.

I think Chuck "ratnasty" has one currently.

Some of you may not be aware of this gem. I have three of them. One built and two mint kits. I had the Super Digger dragster as well which is kind of a companion to this kit. This kit is 1/12 scale and features a motor and gearbox behind the drivers seat area that when you press the seperate "foot" shaped gas pedal, it raises and lowers the body.

KGrHqFocE8Vt-gQkBPMv2lYPg60_57.jpg

There is actually a hobby shop in San Antonio called Dibbles Hobbies that is full of all kinds of obscure kits and subjects. An old, hole in the wall place that deals more in trains and games but has a lot of cool stuff. Anybody ever check out the Pheonix Follies white metal kits??? Not the kind of kits you want the kiddies around... That's where I usually pick up the off-beat stuff.

That actually looks like a decent kit! Opening hood and trunk with "kind of" engine detail. Any idea what year the Cedric is? Cool.

The kit is totally decent and would build into a very plausible model, if you regard it as a curbside. It's a 1965-68 Nissan Cedric 130.

that boat and skyline kit are too much. man i want that too...if one comes up on the bay its gonna be war! :lol:

notice its the "vacation kit"!

more pics please!

and that renault aint too shabby either. i wonder how it fits together out of the box?

A few more shots of the Skyline Trailer kit.

The other "SSS" (Sea Side Sport) kits:

08156453.jpg

The Skyline itself is typical 70s Japanese kit meant for motorization - this kit includes a motor for the car:

8e79ea8d.jpg

The box contents:

14ba75ea.jpg

The Boat, which also has instructions for motorizing:

9201d6e2.jpg

Instruction sheet - note, the Skyline is kit number 1 of 4

cc4decb2.jpg

First on the Imperial, That car is in Wisconsin. There is a real Chrysler Imperial pick-up truck. I know the place that has real car.

Second on the Chrysler boat. My dad worked at Chrysler Marine in Hartford Wi. In the late 60's they had a big boat show at the local Chrysler, Plymouth & Dodge dealer. They handed that boat & trailer out to all kid that came to the show. I still have the boat to this day

Wheeeeee!!! Let's go to the lake in our Skyline!!!

d6c808ad.jpg

LS used to make a lot of semi obscure kits , they did half a dozen or so different mini sedans in 1:20 and 1:16 but also produced a mini van and mini traveller (wood trimmed van with rear seating) except they were on the mini sedan floor pan . A Van/traveller shell has a 4" longer wheelbase with an extra panel welded into the floor to bridge the gap , their van and traveller looked a little on the odd size when you knew what the full size version looked like , but I'd still love to get my hands on one or more of each ...

And I thought for a moment that was a mini in the box behind it , but it's the Honda N360 isn't it ? Does it have the mini type nose or the flatter front end ? Any chance of more photo's of it please ?

And I thought for a moment that was a mini in the box behind it , but it's the Honda N360 isn't it ? Does it have the mini type nose or the flatter front end ? Any chance of more photo's of it please ?

Actually, It's an Autobianchi A112:

10c14154.jpg

Tamiya does have an N360, though. It's an odd 1/18 scale and motorized but has an opening hood and doors and an engine. This kit could probably be reissued by Tamiya as they just reissued the Subaru R2SS from the same series. Here's the N360:

2e0cff63.jpg

This thread made me dig out one of the oddballs in my stash... anybody else ever seen one?

1-vi.jpg

2-vi.jpg

3-vi.jpg

4-vi.jpg

I've got one ! You could order them from the company that make Borax, 2 box tops and $5.00 for shipping got you the kit. I got mine when I still lived at home back in the early 70's. Still havn't built it though. Back in the 60's Borax also sold a Stage Coach kit along with the 20 Mule team kit. It came as a set and I've never seen the stage coach since then, My mother was and still is a big user of Borax products and she ordered my late father the combo kit. He built both and made a disply case for each. Both are still down stairs in the rec-room in good shape. When I go pickup my mom for easter dinner tomorrow, I'll take some pictures and post them so you can see my dads work.