Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

1975BuickSkyhawk.jpg

This is from the Doyusha Nostalgia Heroes range. They are all designed to be motorised and so have far too shallow interior tubs. They are also all made to fit the same chassis. This leads to variations in scale despite the claim to be 1/24 (I also have a Nissan Sunny X1R which scales out at about 1/20). The engraving on the bodies however is excellent.

My 20Mule Team kit has been in my stash for close to 50 years now. I received it as a young 'un during a trip to a TV studio. We all appeared on the old "Corky the Clown" show (a Bozo the Clown ripoff type show) for a birthday party and I scored the kit.

Dad wouldn't let me build it right away. He said I needed to practise more, and get better at building.

That was 1963 :lol:

G

Union 1/20 scale Renault 16 - very ugly car to be converted to model form... Not a real obscure or rare kit, but rare in the fact that it is one of the few four door models that all four doors open (and the hood and rear hatch): 066638f9.jpg

Old Heller kit. Remember building it in the early '70's.

Edited by ChrisR

Old Heller kit. Remember building it in the early '70's.

Yep, the Union Renault 16 is a repop of the Heller.

Union 1/20 scale Renault 16 - very ugly car to be converted to model form...

Entirely btw. the Renault 16 is not an ugly car.

Edited by Junkman

The Tracy Space Coupe was reissued not too many years ago.....

It would be interesting to replace the custom cab of the transport truck w/ a Dodge L700 cab.

And now that they will be easy and cheap....I can see a lot of builds.....

Edited by Dave Van

2012-04-10_19-55-16_671_Kearney.jpg2012-04-10_19-55-45_884_Kearney.jpgI had bought this at a garage sale last summer, and I did not even know this kit exsisted. I have looked on e-bay and everywhere and cant seem to find this kit anywhere. If anyone has this kit they would like to trade or sell let me know. The one I have is a total non saveable glue bomb.

I had bought this at a garage sale last summer, and I did not even know this kit exsisted. I have looked on e-bay and everywhere and cant seem to find this kit anywhere.

I have seen a few pop up on eBay over the years, and the (related?) Shalako street dune buggy seems to be on there more often. IMC did the psychedelic Surf Buggy, too, with the fold out flower instruction sheet:

That Cobra kit on the bottom is the Fujumi kit IIRC, right? Also the name of the anime this ones from is a weird one called "You Are Under Arrest". I remember seeing a Ford GT40 and a Skyline R33 in the series too.

There is (was?) also a blue Toyota S800, and at least two cars in Japanese police markings - a Honda Today that came with a Motocompo scooter, and a Datsun 240Z.

That green Cobra kit looks like the artist had never seen one before and was just having someone describe it to him over the phone.

That's how the kits were made, too.

"Uh, yes, two headlights, and, um, that looks close enough"!

The boxes on Palmers actually resemble the car. The kits? Not so much.