Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

Anybody ever seen this one? Over the past few years, I have never been able to find any online reference on a 1:1 of it.

There is not much known about the real car, other than it is a 1906 Bianchi 15/20 Gran Coupè di Gala Otto Molle.

The real car is in the National Motor Museum in Torino, Italy. The car was also modelled by Rio as a 1:43 diecast.

Few people know that Bianchi in its heydays produced more than 200,000 cars per year and was Italy's third largest car company.

I have been looking for this kit for quite a while and I have the Mercedes counterpart:

pic021.jpg

Both kits were originally made by a company called Imai-Kagaku and ended up with Bandai through a takeover.

Edited by Junkman

There are a couple of the Bianchi kit currently eBay (for up to $150). From the seller's description:

"This is an auction for an Imai issued Bandai 1/16 Bianchi model kit. This is one of the more rare Bandai 1/16 kits that was never issued through Entex, unlike the other more popular 1/16 classic car kits. This odd looking model features a motorized drive system with the motor inside the engine, and working steering from the steering wheel. There is a metal gearbox, gears, and metal steering mechanism gearbox. The doors open and the leaf springs are assembled from individual strips."

There is not much known about the real car, other than it is a 1906 Bianchi 15/20 Gran Coupè di Gala Otto Molle.

The real car is in the National Motor Museum in Torino, Italy. The car was also modelled by Rio as a 1:43 diecast.

Few people know that Bianchi in its heydays produced more than 200,000 cars per year and was Italy's third largest car company.

I have been looking for this kit for quite a while and I have the Mercedes counterpart:

pic021.jpg

Both kits were originally made by a company called Imai-Kagaku and ended up with Bandai through a takeover.

Christian, if you already have the Mercedes kit...with a little kit bashing it really doesn't appear that it would be too difficult to cobble up a reasonable facsimile from sheet styrene, etc. and save a bunch of coin?

Christian, if you already have the Mercedes kit...with a little kit bashing it really doesn't appear that it would be too difficult to cobble up a reasonable facsimile from sheet styrene, etc. and save a bunch of coin?

Actually, there was a very similar Mercedes Simplex that once belonged to one of the Masters of the Universe who lived on Long Island, Henry Austin Clark, Jr.

05mercedestowncar001_2_edited-1-2-585x398.jpg

It's not about not being able to replicate the model. I'm a collector, too, and I'm just missing the Bianchi kit.

I built this kit sometime in the mid to late '60's. Was it ever reissued?

Yes it was. Polar Lights reissued 'Dick Tracy's Space Coupe' a few years ago. Can still be found on some hobby shop shelves and of course evilBay.

2012-04-10_19-55-45_884_Kearney.jpgI had bought this at a garage sale last summer, and I did not even know this kit exsisted. I have looked on e-bay and everywhere and cant seem to find this kit anywhere. If anyone has this kit they would like to trade or sell let me know. The one I have is a total non saveable glue bomb.

It's actually Dick Dean's Shalako minus body. It's the third in a series from MPC.

Shalako http://www.showrods....es/shalako.html

Skorpion http://www.showrods....s/skorpion.html

And Your Fun Bug http://www.showrods....es/fun_bug.html

Edited by darquewanderer

I don't really know if they're considered "rare" or not, but here are two kits from my collection that I've always liked a lot -

Revell Honda XE-50 (1:12 scale)

DSCN0402.jpg

IMC Bonanza Mini Bike with Hodaka ACE 100cc 2-stroke (1:10 scale)

DSCN0403.jpg

The mini bike kinda holds a special place in my heart because my father bought a real one (same exact bike) about 10 years ago and I thought it was one of the coolest mini bikes ever. It was missing a few parts, just like my kit... :lol: , so he wound up selling it. I was so upset!

Mini Bikes are another hobby of mine... As of now, I have 14 of them, 12 ranging from the 60's to late 70's and 2 that are only a few years old.

Shane , I think the supposed International is a Russian "Knock Off. They commonly got hold of our old dies like Packard motors for instance . Still very kwell pieces to have , specially the I T C Mercury ........... Ed Shaver

No Packard dies were ever sent to the Soviet Union. They were good at copying our designs however. The gas transporter is most likely an Isuzu. Edited by lordairgtar

Not really that obscure, because 1:20 scale Mitsubishi Jeeps have been issued all over the place at some time.

But it is not far behind Jon Cole's VW kit when it comes to political incorrectness:

HuntingJeep.jpg

I wonder if that was issued when "Daktari" was on TV, and called a hunting jeep in order to avoid paying royalties? (wrong vehicle, too, but hey)

28%20-%20Daktari%20Jeep.jpg

I watched that show as a kid. I'm guessing in reruns, but I was a kid.

Edited by LDO

Anybody ever seen this one? Over the past few years, I have never been able to find any online reference on a 1:1 of it.

Picture3-3.png

Kinda looks like Granny Clampett gotta a seating upgrade or we now know the inspiration of the Munstermobile ...