Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

I think these are pretty obscure - the BANDAI 1/35 scale "U.C. Hard Graph Series."  1/35 makes them compatible with other military kits.  But they are sci-fi themed. Each kit comes with futuristic weapons, vehicles, figures, etc.   I have the 3 kits shown below.

In the "Rampa-Ral Commando Set," that big round thing is the head of a giant destroyed robot. It comes in the kit. 

band-1.jpg

band-2.jpg

band-3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another 1/35 kit that just came up at Hobby Search and looks pretty cool to me.

I have the first issue of that Dio-Park "Anonymous German Sedan" from a few years ago.  They are very nice kits.  No engine, but all 4 doors and the trunk can be posed open.  The retail price was pretty high, IMO. But you can find deals on them by looking around online.

That first issue was called "German Civilian Car And IED Equipment."  The IED equipment for the trunk included a gas cylinder, plastic container, two RPG rounds, 122mm shells (5), a couple of mines. And even a 1/35 cell-phone, to trigger the IED!

Another big Mercedes sedan in 1/35 scale - the NZG company made several die-casts that often show up on eBay.  I bought one years ago because it was cheap and the only one in 1/35 scale, at that time.  I compared the die-cast to the body shell of this Dio-Park kit and they are very close.

diopark1.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error

I have the first issue of that Dio-Park "Anonymous German Sedan" from a few years ago.  They are very nice kits.  No engine, but all 4 doors and the trunk can be posed open.  The retail price was pretty high, IMO. But you can find deals on them by looking around online.

That first issue was called "German Civilian Car And IED Equipment."  The IED equipment for the trunk included a gas cylinder, plastic container, two RPG rounds, 122mm shells (5), a couple of mines. And even a 1/35 cell-phone, to trigger the IED!

Another big Mercedes sedan in 1/35 scale - the NZG company made several die-casts that often show up on eBay.  I bought one years ago because it was cheap and the only one in 1/35 scale, at that time.  I compared the die-cast to the body shell of this Dio-Park kit and they are very close.

diopark1.jpg

Okay. That one is strange. I wonder who and why that one was even thought up?

Scott, I think it is for military modelers who want to build dioramas about ISIS controlled areas.  I'm sure the military guys wonder why mid-1960s Fords trucks are being released.

Exactly.  Several companies make 1/35 Explosive Ordnance Disposal figures and equipment. Perfect for a diorama with that booby-trapped Mercedes.  As someone who builds military and car kits, I'd like more weirdness in 1/35 scale AND more mid-1960s Ford Trucks, please!

Here's MENG Kit Number HS-993 - 1/35 scale EOD Team and Robots:

simeoda.jpg

Atlantis_Flash%255B11%255D.JPG

The above kit is available again. It's put out by a company called Atlantis. Other that the Atlantis logos replacing the Revell name eveything look exactly same as the original. The box, the kit itself, and the instructions. The back side of the instructions include a copy of the Revell dealer "sell sheet." As you can maybe tell, I bought the kit. So far all I've got done in the kit, is the Martian. He looks really cool.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think I saw something on the web that Atlantis will be reissuing the Phantom kit in near future. Unlike the Flash Gordon kit which I did have as a kid, I never had the Phantom. So I don't know if really all that interested adding that one to my collection.

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2012 at 4:22 PM, Draggon said:

I was searching for a pic of the Ski-Doo kit, I think I may have seen it ONCE, and came upon this. Now this is wierd!

mpc-6million.JPG

There where about 4 or 5 kits in this series form the Six Million Dollar Man T.V. show. I have this one and a couple of others, including the Bionic Woman one. 

Image result for MPC Bionic Woman

Edited by Daddyfink

18 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

Forgot if these where posted before

Image result for monogram dragster in a bottle

Related image

Related image

Hey Jesse,

I've got and origninal Flap Jack in the box.  They were really fun to build.  Years ago, I painted one in Vietnam Camo, bobbed the wings and added Sparrow missiles from an old 1:32 scale F-4.  Thing was a hoot, but with the added weight on the wings, it to a little push to get the motor to run.  Added a second battery pack to double the juice and burnt the motor up!:lol:

2 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

Hey Jesse,

I've got and origninal Flap Jack in the box.  They were really fun to build.  Years ago, I painted one in Vietnam Camo, bobbed the wings and added Sparrow missiles from an old 1:32 scale F-4.  Thing was a hoot, but with the added weight on the wings, it to a little push to get the motor to run.  Added a second battery pack to double the juice and burnt the motor up!:lol:

Hey Pete, 

I always thought it was cool and pretty wacky! I have one, but, it is missing the motor and some other small parts. I might just build it as is for displaying it on my desk at work. 

5 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

Hey Pete, 

I always thought it was cool and pretty wacky! I have one, but, it is missing the motor and some other small parts. I might just build it as is for displaying it on my desk at work. 

They pop up on E bay from time to time.  Just did a search and there are two on there now for $150 to $175 but that is just someone being hopeful.  A search of them for sale shows they are about $35 to $65.  I may get another one just to have one to keep and one to build.  Oh, and the original store displays go for a couple of hundred.  Strong money for what was basically a joke!  Perhaps we should build them for "anything but a car" night.  What do you think?  By the way, if you know what parts are missing, perhaps I could machine them for you using my kit as a pattern.

1 hour ago, Erik Smith said:

Came across this on eBay the other day...

I looked that listing over, too...very cool. I'm not sure how well that rotary pored Mazda would do pulling a camper this size, but it's definitely oddball. 

• 3 weeks later...

There were three AMT/Heller double kits.  The third included a Porsche 907 and a Ferrari P4.  These were probably a feeler for AMT to determine whether or not they should have gotten into doing similar kits themselves...which of course they didn't do. 

Heller did sell an AMT kit or two.  I have seen a Heller re-box of the AMT '68 Shelby GT500.  They supposedly sold the AMT Mercedes 300SL, but I've never seen that one.  The 300SL they have sold more recently is their own; that one was tooled in the Eighties.