Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mixing little bottles of paint

• 3 weeks later...

Old trick, goes back many years--worth repeating though!

Art

The only thing I would add is look for stainless steel small diameter ball bearings instead... more expensive but no rust worries either

Edited by camaroman

I got back into modeling in 2005. I bought paint bottles and started that BB trick only to find that after they set awhile I could see rust stains going on. They aren't the same copper BB's that they were when I was building models in the late 60's and 70's. You could gp to Ace and pick up some nice SS ones or maybe get a decent bulk price on good old Evilbay.

I bought one of those battery powered mixers from MicroMark for $9, it mixes up settled paint quickly. You can even get around the bottom of the bottle with the little propeller. It's a lot quicker then shaking, it only has one quirk....make sure it has stopped before taking it out of the bottle. If not, make sure you're wearing old clothes. :D

You can even get around the bottom of the bottle with the little propeller. It's a lot quicker then shaking, it only has one quirk....make sure it has stopped before taking it out of the bottle. If not, make sure you're wearing old clothes. :D

Is that one of those "don't ask me how I know" things ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by camaroman

• 2 weeks later...

I use 1/8" stainless ball bearings. One problem though: I put one in an Alclad bottle and broke it by shaking it too hard. What a mess! It was my fault but I'll blame it on Alclad anyway - their paint is thin and so are their bottles. But the BBs work fine with smaller bottles and gentler shaking.

The only thing I would add is look for stainless steel small diameter ball bearings instead... more expensive but no rust worries either

All the BB shot I ever had was copper, not steel or iron. However, copper does corrode, turquoise staining is possible)

Art

I use 1/8" stainless ball bearings. One problem though: I put one in an Alclad bottle and broke it by shaking it too hard. What a mess! It was my fault but I'll blame it on Alclad anyway - their paint is thin and so are their bottles. But the BBs work fine with smaller bottles and gentler shaking.

A model building buddy of mine uses an old hot dog cooker, the kind which "rolls" the hot dogs. He simply puts the bottle of paint in a piece of PVC pipe, puts that on the roller, and turns the machine on, goes away and lets it do its thing. Bill says it works perfectly every time it's tried.

Art

Another technique I have seen used, is to strap the paint bottles onto the foot of an orbital sander! Use a few loops of say, a bicycle innertube, of very heavy, large rubber bands--the trick here is to secure the bottle of paint soundly! Turn on the sander, hold it upside down for a few minutes--paint mixed, end of problem!

Art

Is that one of those "don't ask me how I know" things ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I detect an "OOPSIE! "sorry honey, I'll get that off the new stainless sink and granite counter we just put in, it's ok, it'll come right off, I promise, oh, no, not again!". oh, wait, that was a flashback my bad.lol

• 2 months later...

Follow-up on my ball bearing post: I just bought some 1/4" inch ones and they cost .50 each! Wow!

Is there a cheaper substitute? Used bearings would be ideal, but who sells used ball bearings?

Off the subject, but since I mentioned Alclad: I just tried Krylon gloss black as a base for Alclad II chrome, and it works great. It dries faster and it's a lot cheaper than Alclad black base.

All the BB shot I ever had was copper, not steel or iron. However, copper does corrode, turquoise staining is possible)

Art

Steel BBs are available, have been for about 25 years or so. I've seen them in plain steel and copper plated (got a carton of the copper plated ones). I will agree with and can attest to the turquoise staining, as I tried the BB trick long ago, and had that exact problem. That's why I don't do it anymore.

Some of the early Alclad bottles came with glass beads for mixing. Lighter weight, less likely to crack the glass.

• 1 month later...

Also, be careful with BB shot, as most of that is at least copper coated. Some types of paint will actually corrode copper or brass, which will infuse a blue-green "stain" into light colored paint (such as white or yellow). That is a hard lesson I learned perhaps 40 years ago with decanted AMT lacquers, which were VERY similar to our modern Tamiya and Modelmaster non-penetrating lacquers. A small nickel-plated nut or short bolt will do the job.

Another caution: The use of too heavy a metal piece as an agitator can increase the likelihood of breaking even a small glass paint bottle, so be careful when shaking that bottle!

Art