Model Cars Magazine Forum

I am starting with the Revell 77 Jeep

rmx857207.jpg

I plan on making it into a trail rig with only a mild lift but some wide, aggressively-treaded tires. I don't have pics yet. The front suspension will be independent and I am making a portal axle for the rear. The engine will be a small block 340 Six-Pack with EFI.

STewart

The engine is painted but still needs some assembly. It is a small-block 340 from the Revell AAR Cuda but I am converting it to EFI.

DSC07810.jpg

I started on the independent front suspension for the front. I took the a-arms from an AMT Blazer kit. I will probably scratchbuild the top arms. I reinforced the frame with a couple of extra braces which will also hold the a-arm mounts.

DSC07809.jpg

The wheels I am using are aoshimas but they are only four-lugs so I am going to have to redo the lug pattern. I will probably just make them 8-lugs because that is the easiest thing.

DSC07808.jpg

STewart

As I said before, the wheels, aoshima watanabes, are 4-lug wheels and that really is not quite adequate for off-roading. I would have made them six lugs but the would not have been very easy so I took some styrene hex rod I had and sliced it into small chunks and glued them on. Though not perfect, the detail is fairly small so perfection is not necessary. I also added hubs to the two wheels which did not have them.

DSC07812.jpg

I glued the intake and carbs onto the engine. I just need to paint and wire the distributor and pulleys.

DSC07813.jpg

The front suspension is coming along nicely as well. I built the a-arms and modified a few of the pieces from the blazer kit to fit in. I also made some progress on the rear axle. It is supposed to be a portal axle. The scratchbuilding isn't the greatest but it works.

DSC07814.jpg

STewart

I love your project Justin. I decided to do a more tame build because I didn't want to mess with a lot of bodywork on this one. Haven't done a whole lot in the last few days. It has been spring cleaning time for me :D. I am planning a complete workbench redo. However, I hope to keep this one going as i am doing that. Thanks for the comments.

STewart

I worked some more on the suspension. I had to pull apart the front suspension and rebuild it with the frame that protects the front differential. I worked some more on the rear portal axle and added braces to it. I also made rear shock mounts and the front half-shafts.

Computer not cooperating now. Will post pictures soon.

STewart

• 1 month later...