Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th Scratch Built 69 Daytona ProMod

Romell R

Romell, as a mod, do you think it wise to show this much attitude and contempt for fellow modelers who happen to see the flaws in the finished product? Do you really want to get better or just run the dog-and-pony show? And to the guys who 'Hate the haters'......that is all you. If you can't handle constructive criticism or those who aren't in it just for the praise, perhaps it is better you don't show your work. I do, and welcome criticism (why, because it helps me get better). A simple search of my forum name will bring up what I build. Is it perfect, not by a long shot and I know and accept that. Time for others to do the same in a less-than-standoffish manner.

Lets get it correct Bradley i accept TRUTHFUL criticism , but im not just gonna laydown and let anybody dog my work just for the sake of dogging it. People gave alot of criticism during the build and not one time did I lash out at anyone. Its not my build in this instance either because the flaws that are being pointed out just arent there. No this is more of a personal attack on the builder. You can precieve it how you want to, this is how i see it . If someone lied about you would you not stand up and try to defend yourself? Yeah I can take criticism but lets be real about it.

I always thought and still think the actual/honest definition of scratchbuilt is that the subject was made from scratch (raw materials), not just modified from other parts (resin, kit or otherwise), by the builder of the model. That is a key part, by the builder.

And most certainly not farmed out, as those parts even if they were scratchbuilt or machined by a 3rd party, would be considered the same as aftermarket when used by anyone other than the person who made them. Not something that can be ethically claimed as scratchbuilt.

IMHO stating otherwise is disingenuous at best.

Why not let the merits of the model carry it without the phony hype? It has several issues I can see that could have been done better (as we discussed in person last September), but you clearly put a lot of effort into it and as long as you are happy with it, so be it. But everyone is entitled to their opinion good or bad aren’t they?

As for “personal attacks”, I just see comments about the model and statements that were made, nothing leveled at you personally Romell. Am I wrong to expect a little more balance and clearer understanding of what is posted from a moderator?

I still have to wonder why you take issue with an observation about it not fitting together well in your photos “it fits this way because I dont want to push the parts together as this is made to display open trust me it all goes together very well” . Well, if it fits as well as you state it could have been set up that way for the photos couldn’t it? Why chastise the guy who points out what you admit to as ill fitting (with an excuse)?

Edited by Scale-Master

Looks like the sticking point here is the definition of "100% scratchbuilt."

I think what Romell was saying is that the model is not based on a kit, or even a modified kit, but built entirely from various sources (scratchbuilt frame, aftermarket parts, etc.)

Stop hatin man !

Whoa! Romell. Mr. Moderator, jumping from fielding a critique to branding it "hate" is pretty radical and over the top, especially for you. Way out of character for you.

Dial it back a bit, my man. Chill.

:mellow:

I think what Romell was saying is that the model is not based on a kit, or even a modified kit, but built entirely from various sources (scratchbuilt frame, aftermarket parts, etc.)

I agree with Harry's assessment. There's a difference between assembling parts and carving or crafting parts out of raw materials and stock.

This 'definition gap' is what stirred up a hornet's nest some time back when a guy claimed sanding kit parts and smearing putty was "scratchbuilding." He, too, claimed his models were "100% scratchbuilt" when they weren't.

After following Romell's build, I agree he scratched and he crafted many parts, but he also modified and assembled many more parts that were created by others. Not "out of box" but not "100% scratchbuilt," either.

I don't think anyone doubts there are talents involved in any degree of building, and Romell's model is exceptional, but scratchbuilt it's not. It's a shame to see Romell distract from his model by embellishing or employing questionable definitions in the same manner as that other guy.

B)

Edited by Danno

I just want to apologize if I step on anyones toes last night on the comments. But come on, you all have to look at it like this. Rom put 11 months of hard work into this build and then some of you just straight out dogged his work. I get constructive criticism but man some of these comments were uncalled for. I don't know nor ever met Rom and probably never will but I will say that this is one of the most fantastic builds I have ever followed. I learned a lot from him. Now if this were a contest where the cars were being judged then pointing out the flaws is one thing but this is a forum for builders to show off there work that they are proud of. So why not just congratulate him on finishing such a great build. I was going to post some of my builds on here as I go along but if this is how people get treated then I will keep mine to myself. AGAIN ROMELL, CONGRATS ON FINISHING THIS AWESOME BUILD AND HOPE THAT SOMEDAY I CAN BUILD TO YOUR LEVEL. THANKS FOR SHARING AND CAN WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE.

There is "no hatin" coming from me Rom. I thought you wanted honest comments. You know I posted a Hayden Proffitt 62 Belair a while back, probably my best effort to date. Not THE best but MY best. One comment was just "what about the mold seam on the radiator?". It stung but you know what I did. I fixed the mold seam on the radiator. I got your PM. I really don't think I need to call you. Its really not that big of a deal to me. Open forums are all about opinions. Sorry my opinion of your model got your shorts in such a knot... I won't post in your threads any more.

This is exactly what I meant , but I want to know how we go from my build being insulted to my definition of scratch built. As far as im concerned every piece on my model was scratch built , even if the resin parts I purchased started out as parts scratched made then copied. if we really have to get down to number maybe I would have been closer by saying that my build is 97% scratch built 3% parts purchased from others.

I always thought and still think the actual/honest definition of scratchbuilt is that the subject was made from scratch (raw materials), not just modified from other parts (resin, kit or otherwise), by the builder of the model. That is a key part, by the builder.

And most certainly not farmed out, as those parts even if they were scratchbuilt or machined by a 3rd party, would be considered the same as aftermarket when used by anyone other than the person who made them. Not something that can be ethically claimed as scratchbuilt.

IMHO stating otherwise is disingenuous at best.

Why not let the merits of the model carry it without the phony hype? It has several issues I can see that could have been done better (as we discussed in person last September), but you clearly put a lot of effort into it and as long as you are happy with it, so be it. But everyone is entitled to their opinion good or bad aren’t they?

As for “personal attacks”, I just see comments about the model and statements that were made, nothing leveled at you personally Romell. Am I wrong to expect a little more balance and clearer understanding of what is posted from a moderator?

I still have to wonder why you take issue with an observation about it not fitting together well in your photos “it fits this way because I dont want to push the parts together as this is made to display open trust me it all goes together very well” . Well, if it fits as well as you state it could have been set up that way for the photos couldn’t it? Why chastise the guy who points out what you admit to as ill fitting (with an excuse)?

Mark with some of your points you are correct, but let me stop here and say this There is no "Phony hype" in my model building I dont have a thing to prove to you or anyone eles. And the issue not "issues" we dicussed last September was how high you thought my seat was, dont pretend that we had a lenghtly discussion of problems with my build. it was only the one thing which was fixed. And why worry yourself with what you deem as excuses? If I feel like I want to explaine why something is the way it is , then wouldnt you agree thats my perogative? There are certain people who just love to jump on the band wangon whenever they think they have a cause. I respected you mark for who i thought you were, but who i see you are is a differant person.

You know I try my best to respect the different builders of this forum I try to be uplifting and supportive, but it seems that everytime I make one mistake or something is flawed the sharks come out. I never claimed to be perfect i just enjoy the hobby so I share my work with you. But if I have to fight everytime I show something....well lets just say I'd rather not. The majority of you I am indeared to. but there are some of you who have shown your stripes time and time again. And Id rather walk away from this forum than be mocked or scorned for making mistakes.

Dont get me wrong im not thin skinned , I just hate the way you people (and you know who you are) enjoy starting BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH! Im not one who makes false accusations if I felt my build was 100% scratch built then that how I felt. But this didnt start from that, no this started from an insult not a criticism.

Mark with some of your points you are correct, but let me stop here and say this There is no "Phony hype" in my model building I dont have a thing to prove to you or anyone eles. And the issue not "issues" we dicussed last September was how high you thought my seat was, dont pretend that we had a lenghtly discussion of problems with my build. it was only the one thing which was fixed. And why worry yourself with what you deem as excuses? If I feel like I want to explaine why something is the way it is , then wouldnt you agree thats my perogative? There are certain people who just love to jump on the band wangon whenever they think they have a cause. I respected you mark for who i thought you were, but who i see you are is a differant person.

You know I try my best to respect the different builders of this forum I try to be uplifting and supportive, but it seems that everytime I make one mistake or something is flawed the sharks come out. I never claimed to be perfect i just enjoy the hobby so I share my work with you. But if I have to fight everytime I show something....well lets just say I'd rather not. The majority of you I am indeared to. but there are some of you who have shown your stripes time and time again. And Id rather walk away from this forum than be mocked or scorned for making mistakes.

Dont get me wrong im not thin skinned , I just hate the way you people (and you know who you are) enjoy starting ######! Im not one who makes false accusations if I felt my build was 100% scratch built then that how I felt. But this didnt start from that, no this started from an insult not a criticism.

Since you directed this at me, I will respond to you Romell.

Thank you for recognizing some of my points are correct, I think they all were correct, but that is my opinion, and why I stated them earlier.

I’m not sure why you think anyone is asking you “to prove anything”. I didn’t see anything in the comments along those lines except it seems you have taken things as if you have been challenged.

“Phony hype” was in reference to your inaccurate claim that this model is 100% scratchbuilt. I think we can all agree what you are claiming and still trying to justify as “100% Scratchbuilt” is not the mainstream definition and comes off as self-serving hyperbole, and to me dishonest. Would you prefer I use the term “Real Hype”?

I’m not “pretending” anything, but you are inferring quite a bit. Not sure what you are talking about as far as "excuses" other that you’re defending a poor fit issue by admitting it is there. (Is there a head scratching emoticon?)

If I feel like commenting on a current issue on this open forum don’t you agree it is my prerogative to do so?

I am still the same person I was and have been for quite some time, I’m sorry if honestly stating facts and opinions causes you to lose respect for those who have the integrity to say what they think on an open forum. M

Maybe you don’t know me as well as you assumed? Maybe you should not post your work on an open forum if you don’t want honest responses?

Quite honestly, despite your adamancy otherwise, you do come off as thin skinned about this issue. I read all the posts and didn’t see any mean spirited jabs or insults, (unless you count the relatively accurate die-cast comparison opined and apologized for).

I’m still amazed at the perspective you have taken and the wording you have chosen, especially for being a moderator. Is that a cuss word that is #####'d out in your post?

No personal attacks were used in this post…

I’m still amazed at the perspective you have taken and the wording you have chosen, especially for being a moderator. Is that a cuss word that is #####'d out in your post?

Its not a cuss word i dont cuss the word is C R A P !

When I was a moderator over at For A Bodies Only, a Mopar specific site, we would have situations like this pop up from time to time. For reasons beyond me, people would start splitting hairs over details. Instead of looking at the overall finished product and at the very least acknowledge the hard work, they feel compelled to turn a happy, proud post into verbal pooh-pooh.

Guys, get a %$#@#$% grip. We're building MODEL CARS here. Everyone take a deeeeeeep breath. Who ends up winning a debate like this? No one.... Who looks bad? Everyone....

Rommel, your build looks great considering you worked off of raw materials as opposed to a kit. All the contributing components and your fabrication skills produced a build that's going to be a focal point where ever it's displayed.

Just wander up to a group checking the car and listen to what they think your work. Betcha it's gonna be good.....

Hey Rom... Just wanted to say that I think this was an exceptional build my friend. You did one heck of a job and should be very proud of this finished product. I know I would not be ashamed to have it sitting on my display shelf. I really enjoyed watching this build come together over these many months of hard work that went into this build. Trust me it shows.

I am really looking forward to meeting you in person and can't wait to chat models with you as well as seeing this beautiful build in person. I can't believe that this is finally done. Great Job again!! I can't wait to follow and watch your next build come together.

Romell, TRUTHFUL is what the criticism was. It is you whom need to step back, really LOOK at the pics you posted from a disconnected viewpoint, and you will see that the points of fit/finish/build quality are spot-on. Your perceived ego and complete LACK of listening and fireball responding is painting you in a very negative light. I too will defend myself and my build when I think it is warranted. However, looking at my build from the critics eye will more than likely provide me with a view I didn't previously have.

Personal opinion here: Chill out, take what you receive as HONEST criticism and learn from it. YOU are a mod here, and should be setting an example. The only example you seem to be setting is one of a hot-head who cannot deal with any real critique. But, as I state, this is just an opinion from someone who hasn't built to a level to 'Prove himself' to the other non-building poo-flingers who live to stir up conflict. As you all seem to cry as your motto, 'Go build better'.

(Dons a flame-suit, gets the beer and burgers ready, and stands ready to have a good old time at the BBQ that is coming)

Edited by whale392

John, you are correct. These are model cars and the attitude of utter ignorance/arrogance is not needed here (yet it is prevalent). From the mods on down, it oozes from every pore here. Some like the builds, others don't like the builds, and yet others can't/won't build but run off at the mouth acting like they can build. Honesty is not wanted or accepted here, false praise is.

But remember, these are just MODEL CARS, not extensions of egos............some would do well to take that to heart.

Truth be told it is just model car building and you all are intitled to your opinons. It is what it is! Thanks to all of you who have commented good or bad.

Nice looking build-Could we see a few shots of the other side of the car ?

here ya go

donedealbuttoned012.jpg

donedealbuttoned002-1.jpg

donedealbuttoned030.jpg

Romell,

My interest in modeling of 40 years ago was given a breath of new life into by the likes of Daniel Iacoangel and yourself.

For my first dioroma, Danny inspired my garage. For my 1934 Ford Pro-Street, I followed one of your "Tips

Tricks and Tutorials." Thank you for being one of the 12 people to respond to my diorama.

Your enormous modeling talent is evident by your 79,719 views and 1,283 replies. Like many I have watched your progress on several projects on this forum since Oct 2010, I have come to realize that you are a great diplomate for this hobby.

Romell, I only hope to see more of your wonderful builds and tips, thank you for sharing them with me.

Ron Berke

Edited by eferrari