Model Cars Magazine Forum

making a intercooler

a couple members asked if i could do a tutorial on how to make my intercoolers.

these are the tools and materials i use knife ,cutters, needle nose tweesers, styrene (2 different types 1 is metal siding .040 spacing and the other is just regular flat styrene) bondo ,red spot putty, tamiya 2 part epoxy putty, solder, aluminum tubing ,beading wire ,crazy glue sand paper and a ruler

DSC02193.jpg

first thing i do is cut the metal siding to the size you want the fmic core to be( cut 4 pieces)

DSC02194.jpg

glue the 4 pieces together and cut a small strip of the flat styrene the cut it into 4 pieces (there for the end tanks) and 2 pieces of solder for the inlets

DSC02195.jpg

then i use the crazy glue to put the one side of the end tanks on and the solder for the inlets

DSC02196.jpg

DSC02197.jpg

the using the knife i cut the the one side of the end tanks to the size and shape i want

DSC02198.jpg

DSC02199.jpg

then mix up a small amount of the 2 part epoxy putty

DSC02211.jpg

then roll it into a small little line

DSC02212.jpg

then put the little strips on the joints of the end tanks

DSC02213.jpg

i use a small paint brush to push it down and make it strait across the joint . u might have to use the knife to clean up the epoxy to make the joint the size you require

DSC02214.jpg

DSC02216.jpg

the using the knife i lightly make small pits in the epoxy to make it look like it welded

DSC02217.jpg

DSC02218.jpg

cut the aluminum tube for the end tanks

DSC02219.jpg

paint the intercooler and end tanks i paint mine silver chrome and the aluminum tube black

DSC02220.jpg

glue the aluminum tube on the end tanks over the solder

DSC02221.jpg

i use tin tape to make the hose clamps

DSC02222.jpg

the cut 4 small pieces of beading wire for the hose clamps

DSC02223.jpg

DSC02224.jpg

DSC02225.jpg

Luv it :D

The way I did it once:

I made a plastic frame, painted it black, glued some soldering wire in it, made a frame out of an old 1.44 MB disk and inserted a piece of some fine mesh I got from who-knows-where-from:

101B0067.jpg

101B0073.jpg

I scratch-built a fan and added it to the cooler:

PC300648.jpg

PC300650.jpg

The final result after some wires and some "dirt":

P5180197.jpg

Luv it :D

The way I did it once:

I made a plastic frame, painted it black, glued some soldering wire in it, made a frame out of an old 1.44 MB disk and inserted a piece of some fine mesh I got from who-knows-where-from:

I scratch-built a fan and added it to the cooler:

The final result after some wires and some "dirt":

P5180197.jpg

Thats not an intercooler it's a radiator. but all in all it's a job well done. next time make a post of your own some may consider this thread highjacking

did you widen the fenders yourself or was that apart of the kit? I've been looking for a bodykit/fender widening tutorial for a while...i've seen a couple of ones that suggest cutting the body, but i was looking for one that just adds styrene and some putty to sand down

• 3 weeks later...

here is a pic of my almost finished intercooler i build following this tutorial. it still needs to be blackwashed. I sprayed it with a Chrome finish Krylon spray paint. the "CHROME in a can" spray paint did a better job than i though it would!

this pic does not do the chrome spray paint any justice.

GEDC0797.jpg

and another one I made.

GEDC0770.jpg

looks better than without, don't you think?