Model Cars Magazine Forum

1986 Monte Carlo SS

Toast

Nice work Ryan! i love how you detailed the suspension parts........very cool.

for outline whote letter tires, check out my tutorial on my website, its really easy to do.......heres the link at "Bryans Modeling corner" its a site i have been working on for a while.......dont pay attention to the messed up margin, i have to fix it.... anyways check it out, and lemme know what you think...

http://bryansmodelingcorner.synthasite.com/tip-section-3.php

cheers!

Bryan M

Thanks Bryan, I'll have to try that tip. Kirt, a fine brush for the knobs and a carefully placed black wash for the vent details as well as to pick up on some of the smaller details. Thankfully a decal for the gauge cluster is provided in the kit. The engine detail was pretty basic. I grew up around an engine shop and always loved that part of building a model. Not brave enough yet to wire a 24th scale engine but I'm sure in time that will happen. The best way to make a model car engine look better is grab a bunch of different metallic paints. Different parts of an engine, although made of the same stuff, are machined and put together differently. The aluminum of the transmission casing is going to look different than the intake manifold or heads if they're aluminum. Using different manufacturer's "aluminum" paint, or shooting a clear flat coat over some silver will add some contrast to the different parts, and ultimately, give the model a more realistic look.

I'm just waiting out the weather so I can get the body finished. Today would have been great day to paint but of course I was stuck at work. :-P

She's getting close! There's only a couple pieces left in the box that aren't glued to something. Spent the last two days detailing under the hood.

86MC-18.jpg

86MC-17.jpg

Hope to get the window trim and chrome exterior pieces done soon so I can hit it with some clear and put the three main sub assemblies together!

I could not be any more frustrated! I'm almost done with this project and I wanted to enter it in a show coming up. I was fitting the windows tonight, holding the body up against my chest to steady it, and a bat that had gotten into my basement swooped down from the corner of the room. I dropped the Monte Carlo body. The paint is chipped in a few spots and the driver side mirror broke off. I was really proud of the paint on this project. I printed out a tutorial and it helped a great deal. Wasn't a perfect paint job but sure was the best one I've ever put down on a model car.

On to the carnage.

Untitled-1.jpg

2012-05-15233902.jpg

Untitled02.jpg

2012-05-15233844.jpg

I still want to finish it by this weekend but I have a feeling my motivation has suffered after this incident.

Guest Darkside Customs

That is a shame about your misfortune... Couldn't you mask off and reshoot the affected areas? I know how frustrating that has to be to have to backtrack...

The repairs are underway. Still not too excited but I'll be able to make the damage less noticeable. One thing I'll say is that when it's all said and done the model will have survived this whole ordeal, unlike the bat who caused it.

Did you kill the bat? Stupid, stupid flying rats...what's sick is that those varmints intrigue me. LoL anyways, sucks about the drop man, but don't let that get you down. While I was building my '80s Toyota Celica, I had to repaint that thing like 3 times due to droping it and burning through the paint while buffing it. Sucks, but you gotta keep on going. For your fear of engine wiring, here's one of my first tries at it, and the sloppy, really long ignition wires were planned due to the 1:1 car's wires being too ###### long and all over the place.

003-2.jpg

All you need is some right scale wire and a tiny little drill bit from a hobby store to drill the holes in the block and distributor. Couldn't be more simple and brings new life to the kit you're building. Give it a whirl...you might be surprised!

Ha ha like I said, the Monte Carlo will live on. The damaged spots aren't pretty but they're not as bad as I thought. I got them fixed, put the interior tub in and attached the body to the chassis. The only issue I had was the upper radiator hose didn't reach it's destination. With it attached to the proper spot on the intake manifold it wasn't long enough to reach the radiator. I added a little extra plastic to bridge the gap, applied a little strip of tape to simulate the hose clamp, slapped on some paint, and she was good to be called done!

Just a little extra was needed.

86MonteCarloSS104.jpg

added a small amount of clear glue to make sure it doesn't let go over time.

86MonteCarloSS106.jpg

post paint, looks like a part right out of the box!

86MonteCarloSS107.jpg

Fin!

86MonteCarloSS109.jpg

86MonteCarloSS112.jpg

86MonteCarloSS096.jpg

Here's the worst of the damage. I managed to hide the other spots very well.

86MonteCarloSS115.jpg

And the best part, I made it to the model show today!

NNLNorth2012001.jpg

Thanks for watching friends!