Model Cars Magazine Forum

door windows,,,working crank

One of the guys here, Ernie (oldman23) has made a few working crank mechanisms out of brass- they're near exact miniatures of the real mechanism in 1:25. That's one of the few things I've seen in the scale model world which has actually left quite an impression on me!

Not so fast.............the driver's side door of my '58 Impala has that exact mechanism. It's still working more than 10 years later. The trick is to use nylon thread for your pulley.

Those that know me have seen my other gear mechanism in action.................here's a pic of what I did to one model before it was closed in by the door construction.

Windowreg2-vi.jpg

Windowreg-vi.jpg

With patience, it can be done! ;)

Also, Ken Hamilton made that illustration for a Mercury custom he built at the time for SAE. I saw this fantastic model with the working windows and all at a show back in 1987. He posts on this board, and he was the inspiration for me to tackle working windows.

It would be interesting to see if he still has the model, and if the windows still work after 25 years! :D

• 3 months later...

i would imagine with Spectra thread and a knurled drum it might last a while.

after the first 30 times, how often will it be used? and if someone is building with this degree of sophistication, it's only a matter of time before they move on to other, more elaborate, things.

Not so fast.............the driver's side door of my '58 Impala has that exact mechanism. It's still working more than 10 years later. The trick is to use nylon thread for your pulley.

Those that know me have seen my other gear mechanism in action.................here's a pic of what I did to one model before it was closed in by the door construction.

Windowreg2-vi.jpg

Windowreg-vi.jpg

With patience, it can be done! ;)

Yes Bill the window mecahnism in your doors worked perfectly as you've shown me at one of the Toledo NNLs in the past. Great job!

• 3 weeks later...

All I can say is "paging Mr. Goldberg, Mr. Rube Goldberg, your model is waiting."

Bill- I take it the mechanism you and Ernie used are somewhat similar? That's a nice piece of engineering, all kidding aside. I have a goofed-up body, maybe I can try this as an experiment with one of the doors.

Charlie Larkin

Also, Ken Hamilton made that illustration for a Mercury custom he built at the time for SAE. I saw this fantastic model with the working windows and all at a show back in 1987. He posts on this board, and he was the inspiration for me to tackle working windows.

It would be interesting to see if he still has the model, and if the windows still work after 25 years! :D

I just ran across this thread. For the record, the thread has never jammed or broken and the mechanism has worked perfectly for 25 years.

It's nowhere near as hi-tech as Bill's incredible window unit, but it got the job done.

Thanks for the kind words, Bill..!

I think it is one of those techniques that has that WOW factor to it . . . you might do it once to show how utterly obsessive you are (a good thing) but you would go crazy doing it for every build.

I know both Mr. Geary and Mr. Hamilton thrive on such techniques, after all it must bring them a great deal of pleasure and pride to do so.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but I have the picture saved. I may have to try this on my 1/16 '87Camaro or 1/12 '67 Vette to practice the concept. Then I will move to the smaller scale....maybe. Bill, you just amaze me. My Cougar II still sits in it's box. Hopefully I can do it justice after seeing yours. Ken, you and Bill are two of a kind, that being legends.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Give credit where it is due. I just logged onto this thread and Yes Bill's window works great . Bill is the person that helped me develop my working windows for a hard top. I spent allot of time emailing Bill with Questions and sending him pictures and copying his Track and rase. I Modified mine to meet my needs as I'm sure allot of you will do the same after seeing Bill's and the rest of the great guys who have tried this and succeded

Ernie

oldman23