Model Cars Magazine Forum

If you were in charge of a model company

So lets say tomorrow you wake up, and you are in charge of ( insert model company name here), what would change?. What is that the kit manufacturers do that drive you nuts, and have made you say to your self, if I was in charge I would change this.

For me, I would find a way to make the engine block one piece, and no more axle rods through the engine block are just a few of the things, I know I will think of more, so what would you change?

more accurate ride height. I'm tired of trying to lower a kit to a more proper stance and end up making a clown car.

No more separate bumpers, It can make a real mess. But with that said I'd make all the cars with seperate grille inserts.

I would TRY and expand a parts pack line for wheels, tires n stuff like that. I know R&D, tooling and manpower cost money. But we all here spend a good amount in resin, release agents, aftermarket, shipping etc. So its not like there isn't a market for it. Especially if you can get stuff that is designed for your kit already.

Box art.

You can't judge a model by its box, but you can sell one.

I love old artistic boxes. I despise the current Revellogram "Classic Cruiser" designs and the early 2000s AMT WalMart boxes.

Also I would make all kits 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 - so many options and reasons to buy multiple kits.

More and better decals - tire decals! Under hood decals! Retro graphics! The Dirty Donnie van is great in this regard.

I'd look at some of the variations in body styles that aren't offered yet , wagons or vans or pickups/utes of models they already do sedans of (looking at you Tamiya , we want mini van's , pickups and travellers ....) .

EDIT > And give us two dashes like some manufacturers do , LHD and RHD .

Edited by sports850

i think a photo of the real car might disuade some from buying a particular kit. Some might wanna know how that kit looks as it could be built. Not so much what the real version is in case the tooling misses the intended mark. Some box art of the actual kit CAN be productive.

I would withhold wages of the entire staff until they come up with PERFECT whitewall tyres for ALL kits, new or re-released.

I would fire the guy who's been printing thin whitewalls off center for decades.

Ditto for the guy who's never noticed that wide white inserts should have an offset curvature to them.

I resent having to buy Modelhaus tyres for nearly every AMT/Revell/Johan kit I build.

Having said that, the latest Round 2/Amt 25 Ford T kits have great pad-printed tyres and the Revell Rat Rod big'n'littles were a major leap forward.

Accurate bodies & trim ie AAR Cuda, 58 Belverdere. AUSTRALIAN CARS, this country produced the worlds fastest 4 door production car which held that honour for a long time (pitty it was a Ford) our Chargers are just as cool as the US Chargers & the Aussie Chrysler HEMI 6 in the E49 Charger was quicker than the 4 door Ford Falcon GTHO. & what about a RHD dash for the GTO which is really an Aussie Holden Monaro. Oh it's nice to dream.

Id have the 3 in 1 kits back and many kits that need to be reissued instead of just jumping back to what was reissued a few years ago. Some models have started to be molded too thin and warp to the point there useless....that would stop. Optional accessories,versions would be back to make them any version but would be in factory stock form right out of the box. Late 60s cars would show back up on the shelves that haven't been seen in more than 5 years ago. If the box art shows it(white walls,decal stripes,etc.)it should be in the box--recent Plymouth RR showed stripes but none were in the box for it...its not a RR without them. My company web site would have a area to vote or write in the kits the customers would like to see reissued so Id have a good idea of what would sell well and make my customers happy and loyal. just ideas.

Decals, cool decals. Beside the sponsor decals for racing most the decals suck that come with the kits. Real nice flames not the hokey piles you get most times. Not to sound negative but the decals are my biggest gripe:) Hopefully, AMT reproduces some original ones for the old kits. Happy otherwise, well maybe somehow produce the chrome with out damage where you remove it from the trees

RW

Edited by fanofratfink

What I have noticed was that some companies like Round Two were reissuing interesting kits at a rapid pace every quarter. But recently they have basically stopped reissuing all kits, now I rarely look to see if any interesting kits are coming. If I ran a model company I would get the customers' opinions', I would come onto sites like model car magazine, scale auto, or coffin corner and get their views on what should be reissued. Than I would make a decision based on feedback, or I would come on the model forums with a list of cars that are up for reissue and ask their opinions. I have found that in the past companies like Rc2 started to become unpopular after they kept reissuing kits that people weren't happy with.

Before I get a rash of BS bout what I have to say, remember ya'll had yers ........................... I actually read what is posted here , even though I don't always agree with what some of you say .

Box art that sells !

optional parts , various building options

Gather opinion polls

re issue kits that have very high auction bids

I'll second Cranky's idea to have a , Buy 3 and receive a club discount program feature

Examine kits that had been done previously and see what competitive improvements that could be reasonably made to make a kit sale able .

Ed Shaver