Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush won't shoot metallics

Hey, I've run into yet another airbrush problem. :angry:

So, I decanted some Model Master Fathom Green Metallic lacquer. I go to shoot it through my Harbor Freight double action airbrush...nothing. Just air. Fathom Green is a metallicy paint, so I'm wondering if it's just too much metalflake to shoot through my AB. However, when I shot some silver, it worked just fine...

The paint's definitely not too thick, it's actually a little thin, I think.

This is only my second time airbrushing a body, first one was with gloss red and it was fine :(

Any obvious problems here?

Thanks,

Andy

maybe try adjusting your airbrush so a bit more paint comes out

Sorry, exactly how do I do that? :lol: I'm still kinda new to airbrush, so yeah. :P

It sounds like you've got the flakes jammed in there. Clean it out well. Adjust your air pressure a bit higher than normal, see if that works. If not, you might need to thin it a bit more. How large are the flakes?

I cleaned it real well after it didn't work the first time, still no luck the second. I never thought of adjusting the air pressure, thanks! Too late now, I decided screw it so I just painted it with a can, it actually came out decent :huh::lol:

Obvious question and the first one I would ask anyone posing this situation to me. Double action airbrush...Are you pulling back the the control after you press it down to get air. Not meaning any insult, it is just what I would ask anyone.

Yup, I'm pulling it back.

Hey, I've run into yet another airbrush problem. :angry:

So, I decanted some Model Master Fathom Green Metallic lacquer. I go to shoot it through my Harbor Freight double action airbrush...nothing. Just air. Fathom Green is a metallicy paint, so I'm wondering if it's just too much metalflake to shoot through my AB. However, when I shot some silver, it worked just fine...

The paint's definitely not too thick, it's actually a little thin, I think.

This is only my second time airbrushing a body, first one was with gloss red and it was fine :(

Any obvious problems here?

Thanks,

Andy

Is it metallic or metalflake paint as there's quite a difference?

The HF double action has a.very small tip...for lacquer metallics you just need to thin them with lacquer thinner.

That's the one big drawback of the HF airbrush. I have never had problems shooting metallics through them, though.

Also, I agree with Dave, the MM Laquers spray very well, as do their Tamiya conterparts. I never decant them, shoot them right out of the can.

That's the one big drawback of the HF airbrush. I have never had problems shooting metallics through them, though.

Also, I agree with Dave, the MM Laquers spray very well, as do their Tamiya conterparts. I never decant them, shoot them right out of the can.

I agree, I have tried a few times to decant MM lacquer and shoot it through my A/B, and I had to strip and redo. What I learned is you have to really thin the MM lacquer to get it to come out nice, well in my case anyways.