Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Tamiya Lola T70 Coupe

Tamiya reissues this great 1/12 kit from time to time and I really recommend it to anyone interested in large scale models or simply interested in old racecars. As with most Tamiya kits, the fit and finish is really good, the level of detail very satisfying, and Tamiya's Lola body and smallblock Chevy engine (fitted with an appropriate brace of Weber carbs) are both well proportioned.

My only modifications to the kit were fabricated pins to hold the front and rear covers tightly in place, the small front fender spoilers, and all paint and lettering (done to my own fantacy)

The Tamiya suspension is nicely sprung leaving the stance looking nicely 'hunkered down'.

I've always thought that the Lola T70s in both open and closed versions were some of the most attractive competitive racecars ever made and although many of them are now approaching 50 years old they're still really gorgeous today.

P4090026.jpg

P4090027.jpg

P4090028.jpgP4090029.jpg

Clifford, you did a great job on this Lola. I love the color/theme you picked.

I started one of these about 10-12 years ago, and while trying to build the tub in aluminum I got bogged down and never fiished it. Then, when I got interested again I found out that the version that Tamiya presented was supposed to have the Aston Martin engine rahter than the Chevy. Major ptoblem there for sure. I thought of doing a Chevy-powered version like you did, but of course, that requires a color and markings change (which YOU did so very well). Then, I thought I'd go ahead with the Aston Martin powered version....but just try to find any pics of that engine. Nyet, nada, zip, nothing. At least nothing useable. Tamiya screwed up on the originality of this Lola, and it's a darn shame because the T70 has to be one of the best looking race cars EVER.

KUDOS to you, Cliiford, for a job very well done.:)

• Some of these cars were coverted to street use. I know drag racer Eddie Hill had one. Not sure it is the exact model Lola. Anyybody have any info on what it would take to make them street legal.

Clifford your lola is really nice! I am doing one right now and it is a good build.I just a little disappointed on the research tamiya did on this model.The tires really made me mad as bridgestones were not on this car during this period. Even the paint scheme on the box is really wrong.This car never raced in this color.The color i loved on the car was green but it had a aston martin in it.Sooo you can not make it from this kit.Need some resin guys to make aston motor or maybe a mk3b trans kit!!!!!with the mark donahue colors and decals.Sooo in my despair,I am going to make my car a continuation car or as lola calls it a heritage car.Lola will make a mk3 any way you want,just have deep pockets. Mine is painted a real rich maroon (bloodstone read) has a stroked 427 small block,dry sump system Iconic auto has sent me goodyears that fit the year of the car and looks great.I guess this could be a super street car.The car looks really mean and should be my dark passenger.I will post this auto soon.It took 2nd place in the unfinished category at ipms silicon valley.my chopper bike took first,my custom challenger took first,66 el camino took second and my aluma coupe took third.My ZR1 corvette took first in class then it took 1st overall. It was a nice day. I am glad to see a lola finished!!People start them but no one seems to complete them Thank you

clifford for finishing you model The car looks really great!!

It appears that the reason many people don't finish this great car is when they start doing research for detailing they find out how many mistakes Tamiya made. Worse, Tamiya re-issued the model without corrections. I'd much rather have a mock up of the original Aston Martin engine, correct tires, or some other livery markings, than PE parts.

In all the pics and info I have been able to gather I think the blue isn't the problem for that early model..but the engine sure is. Try to find pics of that AMV8.

astonmartinlemans1967set1342p2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

But again, Clifford, your version is beautiful.

Edited by deja-view

Well a few years later, When I was in the Air Force stationed in MS. Pocher closed down and I bought ever Pocher Kit I could find @ Kmart for prices of $11-$18. I did alright on that deal.

• 2 years later...

Clifford your lola is really nice! I am doing one right now and it is a good build.I just a little disappointed on the research tamiya did on this model.The tires really made me mad as bridgestones were not on this car during this period. Even the paint scheme on the box is really wrong.This car never raced in this color.The color i loved on the car was green but it had a aston martin in it.Sooo you can not make it from this kit.Need some resin guys to make aston motor or maybe a mk3b trans kit!!!!!with the mark donahue colors and decals.Sooo in my despair,I am going to make my car a continuation car or as lola calls it a heritage car.Lola will make a mk3 any way you want,just have deep pockets. Mine is painted a real rich maroon (bloodstone read) has a stroked 427 small block,dry sump system Iconic auto has sent me goodyears that fit the year of the car and looks great.I guess this could be a super street car.The car looks really mean and should be my dark passenger.I will post this auto soon.It took 2nd place in the unfinished category at ipms silicon valley.my chopper bike took first,my custom challenger took first,66 el camino took second and my aluma coupe took third.My ZR1 corvette took first in class then it took 1st overall. It was a nice day. I am glad to see a lola finished!!People start them but no one seems to complete them Thank you

clifford for finishing you model The car looks really great!!

Bruce, so many short comings, looks like you've got your work cut out for you. ;)

A trans kit for the Aston martin engine was recently been released

http://www.bestbalsakits.com/tamiya/tamiya-detail.asp?kitnumber=2364

Hey Ron, thx!

What the engine looks like (and yes, there's inner detail, but it can be built closed up too of course)

Comes with different air intake setup for Nurnburgring (= tamiya box art version) & Le Mans 'whale tale' setup.

1.jpg

There is also a full body conversion set for Surtees Le Mans 1967 whale tale aston entry

1.jpg

And for those who prefer mk3B like 1969 Daytona 24HR winner, i have this kit:

1.jpg

thank you

Wim

Edited by bestbalsakits

These transkits are really nice.....but the prices are prohibitive for most builders. Too bad. If I wasn't trying to do 12 WIPS at the same time (actually haven't worked on any for a couple of years while moving) I would go back to the Lola and jump on the transkit for at least the AM engine.

Then, I go down the list of BBK detail stuff and my wish list grows until I could but a real car for what it would cost me. Sigh. :P