Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spray Booth

Anyone got a recommendeation for a cost effective, spray booth with extractor fan? I'm sure that, given time, I could make something, but I've so little time, at this point, I'd rather buy something. Ideally I'd like something that I could set up in the house and extract the fumes through dryer house out of a window.

Use a old hair dryer, take the heating part out, make a box, run a hose out the window,

Not sure I would trust such a set up.

There are reasonably priced already assembled spray booths out there that take the guesswork out of which motor to use and how to vent it.

If you do decide to build your own, do a forum search on the topic and there should be multiple posts available for viewing.

Like Mike expressed, if you don't want to build your own, I also recommend a Pace booth. It's American made, and a quality unit. The small unit I believe costs less than the booth from Micro-Mark.

Use a old hair dryer, take the heating part out, make a box, run a hose out the window,

Ridiculous and dangerous. You need a shaded pole or "squirrerl cage" blower motor. You never want to pull the vapors through a conventional electric motor. One little spark + some flamable vapors = a trip to the ER. Find a a blower with the motor outside the airflow.

Having recently bought a spray booth, I can recommend the Artograph Line. The smaller version can be found (http://www.chicagoai...stmospbofr.html) under $200.

The larger version includes two extractor outlets so you can vent the fumes outside, which it rather handy, unless you have a cat that thinks he will stick his head in the garage vent! I agree with the post about not building one yourself, unless you are in the HVAC business. Not saying you can't but there are guarantees if something goes wrong.

Here's the one I've been using about 13 years spraying HOK products and flushing my guns with Lacquer Thinner,

The Bathroom Exhaust fans are quick and easy to change out,

The fans cfm empty the booth in less than a second

The booth is not constructed of C4 and I do not use natural gas as my air supply for the AirBrush.

I just love alarmist remarks against building your own Paint Booth instead of "buying" something that puts bucks in another guy's pocket,

The Government even has a booklet of Basic Skills instructing people how to walk by placing one foot in front of the other

PBooth3fans.jpg

PaintBooth.jpg

booth3.jpg

2 of the ducts running outside before the third fan was added,

booth8.jpg

Manufacturers do not want possible consumers to build anything themselves.

However, good old American know how prevails.

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

The Government even has a booklet of Basic Skills instructing people how to walk by placing one foot in front of the other

CadillacPat

And I bet the G Man who dreamed that up has been either re-elected, or promoted! :wacko:<_<:P

Absolutely not! Hair dryers and heat guns use motors having brushes and commutators--not sealed either--and that in the air stream coming out of a home-made spray booth can be a recipe for disaster! Additionally, those units lack the CFM capacity to really do much good.

Seriously, a spray booth is SERIOUS business, and a tool I highly recommend for all the reasons that have been enumerated on these forums. But, it's very important that it be designed properly, for safety and efficiency.

Art

Regarding Pat's homemade bathroom fan booth...

Aren't bathroom exhaust fans "explosion-proof," or brushless? I mean, hairspray is pretty flammable. Would't bathroom exhaust fans have to be the explosion-proof kind, per building codes? Wouldn't they be ok to use in a homemade spray booth?

Just asking...

Regarding Pat's bathroom fan booth being "unsafe"...

Aren't bathroom exhaust fans "explosion-proof," or brushless? I mean, hairspray is pretty flammable. Would't bathroom exhaust fans have to be the explosion-proof kind, per building codes? Wouldn't * they be ok to use in a homemade spray booth?

Just asking...

I know one way to find out........but I would rather spend the money on something that someone engineered properly.

The same could probably be said about kitchen range hoods too Harry, afterall they are designed to extract fumes and are subjected to grease, but how many times do you hear about kitchen fires that start in the ductwork? I have seen and heard of many!

If I can afford $25 model kits and $8 cans of Tamiya spray paint, then I can afford $200 for a properly built and engineered spray booth, even if it means fewer kits and spray paints.

I could use my weedwacker to mow my lawn, but isn't my lawnmower designed to do that? ;) Just Sayin!

Regarding Pat's homemade bathroom fan booth...

Aren't bathroom exhaust fans "explosion-proof," or brushless? I mean, hairspray is pretty flammable. Would't bathroom exhaust fans have to be the explosion-proof kind, per building codes? Wouldn't they be ok to use in a homemade spray booth?

Just asking...

I've not seen any notice on a bathroom fan package indicating that they are explosion-proof, Harry. However, due to the humid environment they generally work in, their motors tend to be induction, or brushless motors. In any event, bathroom exhaust fans don't have much CFM capacity, and if one is trying to vent out of doors completely, chances are the inner surfaces of a dryer or other sort of vent will slow the air going through down dramatically.

Just a thought.

Art

I know one way to find out........but I would rather spend the money on something that someone engineered properly.

The same could probably be said about kitchen range hoods too Harry, afterall they are designed to extract fumes and are subjected to grease, but how many times do you hear about kitchen fires that start in the ductwork? I have seen and heard of many!

If I can afford $25 model kits and $8 cans of Tamiya spray paint, then I can afford $200 for a properly built and engineered spray booth, even if it means fewer kits and spray paints.

I could use my weedwacker to mow my lawn, but isn't my lawnmower designed to do that? ;) Just Sayin!

Range hoods do have explosion-proof motors. When one hears of a stack fire in one, it's generally from a source other than the mofor--which is why when you go into a McDonald's--if you look closely at the french fryer station, see the exhaust uptakes, they have those rather sophisticated baffles on their bottom end--should a fryer flare up on fire, the baffles help to keep the flame out of the exhaust stack.

Art

Guys, I fully agree that buying a "real" spray booth is a better idea than building one yourself. I was just curious about the bathroom fans being "safe" for a homemade booth. I also agree that a bathroom fan probably doesn't really have the muscle to do the job when used in a spray booth.

Thanks Harry, but the people who will WILL, and the people who won't WON"T

Just a quick note before crashing for a few hours, I'll come back later but I don't force my knowhow, I just put it out there for those who will use it.

I see a tad of negative speculation from a couple of guys but no substance of experience.

This is why I post pics, and tell how I make things, because, I ACTUALLY DO

I would like to see pictures (as I post) from these same people.

3 of my 80 cfm fans are are pushing 240 cfm at the base and back of the Booth, strong enough to leave piles of powdered paint on the outside patio.

AirBrushing sometimes 6hrs in an evening (taking breaks for the Compressor) and usually a couple of hrs every night for 13 yrs and I've yet to ignite the upper atmosphere.

I don't think some of the speculators are aware of the small Air/Petroleum product ratio emerging from the gun,

Nor have they taken into account that AirBrush or RattleCan passes are very short bursts,

Or the fact that a spark will not ignite these mixtures as they blow past,

Or, are all fans really prone to catching on fire as frequently as proposed by these few? Somebody tell Obama!!!!!!!!!!!

Many many things here to consider and 13 years proves this all for me and others that use my Table Top Paint Booths.

It's just like teaching school, you give them the information and some will learn and some will resist.

Some will take the info and run with it to their advantage.

In a $200 mail order paint booth you are getting about $50 of real value as the rest is in advertising and profit, so please consider that.

The Paint Booth company is not in business to do you a favor.

For my purposes doing as much as I do, I need the power of a strong Paint Booth that is easily maintained, not a toy made of plastic or thin metal.

Most people don't paint anywhere near as much as I do and a little lightweight Booth may be all they need.

I like to build my tools for the long term so they don't break down in the middle of a paying project.

There is no right or wrong here, I just have to have tools that operate very well., everybody else can do as they please.

I can't help being reminded here of the story with Henny Penny, Turkey Lurkey and Ducky Lucky, The Sky is not falling!!!!!!!!!!!

CadillacPat

The other thing to think about is the health part. If you get a spray both that vents back into the room your in, while the filters help, there is only so much they can do, so one that can be vented will be much better. Yes these can be built by yourself, but if 'worse case' it does explode, the insurance is probably not join going to cover any expensese. The odd are slim, but is it worth the money over the long haul. For those who made their own, and have had no problems, great, but that's not for everyone, I agree with mikemodeler in the long run its worth the price. Regardless of which brand, your lungs will thank you.

The other thing to think about is the health part. If you get a spray both that vents back into the room your in, while the filters help, there is only so much they can do, so one that can be vented will be much better. Yes these can be built by yourself, but if 'worse case' it does explode, the insurance is probably not join going to cover any expensese. The odd are slim, but is it worth the money over the long haul. For those who made their own, and have had no problems, great, but that's not for everyone, I agree with mikemodeler in the long run its worth the price. Regardless of which brand, your lungs will thank you.

Not mentioned in these posts but alluded to above is the venting of the booth, which is important. It is also necessary to wear the proper respirator so you can protect your lungs and be around for a long time! Regardless of how well your booth vents, protecting your lungs with a dual stage respirator only makes sense. These can be picked up at big box home centers or auto parts stores for $20 or less, so it is cheap insurance for your health.

I am sure there are some who feel that wearing a respirator is overkill considering the amount of paint fumes created by modeling compared to painting a 1:1 car but the toxins are still there and hazardous nonetheless.

Guest fivespot300

i ruled out bathroom fans becaues most nearly all are not vapor proof..it needs to be right ..your playing with a 1/2 stick of dynamite more or less..if i had 200.00 ided buy new