Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Chrysler Hydro-Vee "Charger" Boat Kit and Other Boat Kits

On 10/7/2017 at 12:44 PM, dimaxion said:

OK . I have a question (or 3) ?? I did buy a Resin Conversion from Caniglia Castings to create a Jet Drive Watercraft .  Parts are quite correct as far as I can tell . Top quality and parts all are crisp . I've only seen on in my lifetime up close . I/O Propulsion without a Prop . Do these have any type of Under Hull Stabilizer ? Are these smooth bottom to navigate in shallow waters instead ?  Are these still made and used today ? My online research is sure lacking on answers .. Like a trip into the unknown .. Thanx .. 

The pump portion should have a inlet that bends down and hits the bottom of the hull just behind the engine, it actually has the drive shaft for the pump impeller going into it and have almost a square shape where it hits the hull. The other side of it is a grate with fore and aft grille bar shapes that keep large junk from getting into the pump, that sticks down just about an inch from the surface of the hull. Hope this helps, you can Google a search for Jacuzzi, and Berkeley and should get pictures or diagrams that would really help you out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2018 at 11:05 AM, tim boyd said:

Paul....really good job making that Lindberg boat look presentable....but the real killer for me is that DeSoto wagon.  What a superb effort!  Congrats....TIM 

Paul's builds have a following on eBay that pay sometimes up 4 figures. I've been drooling over his work for years!

Sweet job on car, boat and trailer, Paul! Did you do anything special to the boat's engine?

For the movie car buffs among us, note the license number JST 791 on the DeSoto - I got that from Vincent Price's '56 Chevy wagon in The Last Man on Earth, and the trailer plate number BK 5937 was on Ray Milland's Kenskill travel trailer in Panic in Year Zero!.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys. I got my MPC Hydro-Vee Boat Kit today. Opened the box, and there are a few things I'm a little confused about. One mounting the outboard motor to the boat itself. See the photo below of instructions. The set up make no sense to me at all. I'm confused mainly on parts #10. Is that were they mount? And how do they hold the engine in place? Second, there are three extra parts in the kit (see third photo below), that are not shown in the instructions. Anybody have any idea what these parts are? And if they are for this kit, were would they get used? 

IMG_3053.JPG

IMG_3054.JPG

IMG_3055.JPG

Are there any photos on the box sides showing that area? I'm not an expert but it seems to me that the mounts on the outboard motor's halves have to be glued into slots in parts #10.  Just like the dashed-line shows. On a real boat those areas would likely be hinged so the motor can tilt. Then the backs of parts #10 woudl be glued to the boats stern (rear), again as shown on the diagram. 

5 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Okay guys. I got my MPC Hydro-Vee Boat Kit today. Opened the box, and there are a few things I'm a little confused about. One mounting the outboard motor to the boat itself. See the photo below of instructions. The set up make no sense to me at all. I'm confused mainly on parts #10. Is that were they mount? And how do they hold the engine in place? Second, there are three extra parts in the kit (see third photo below), that are not shown in the instructions. Anybody have any idea what these parts are? And if they are for this kit, were would they get used? 

The mounting of the motor is  a head-scratcher as the parts have been re-purposed.  They were originally designed to enable the motor to move and swivel on the boat.

I improvised when I built the display boat; I simply trapped the motor between pieces #10; but I flipped the mounts around to mount it at a more realistic angle.  The pic isn't very clear but you might see what I did.

The three leftover parts are just that...leftovers.  The flat piece appears to have mounted ahead of the motor somehow, and the U-shaped parts were used in the boat's previous battery-powered days.

Also note....the instructions tell you to insert the boat's interior platform into the boat after attaching the hull to the deck. This was originally to enable battery installation/removal.  It's mush easier to install the interior first.

DSCN7368.JPG

12 minutes ago, pack rat said:

The mounting of the motor is  a head-scratcher as the parts have been re-purposed.  They were originally designed to enable the motor to move and swivel on the boat.

I improvised when I built the display boat; I simply trapped the motor between pieces #10; but I flipped the mounts around to mount it at a more realistic angle.  The pic isn't very clear but you might see what I did.

The three leftover parts are just that...leftovers.  The flat piece appears to have mounted ahead of the motor somehow, and the U-shaped parts were used in the boat's previous battery-powered days.

Also note....the instructions tell you to insert the boat's interior platform into the boat after attaching the hull to the deck. This was originally to enable battery installation/removal.  It's mush easier to install the interior first.

DSCN7368.JPG

Thank you Mike. Seeing what you've done above helps a lot. Beautiful job by the way. I love the color and plan on building mine fairly close to your. I love it. 

12 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Thank you Mike. Seeing what you've done above helps a lot. Beautiful job by the way. I love the color and plan on building mine fairly close to your. I love it. 

Thanks, Scott.

If you test-fit the outboard motor halves you might find a missing section of plastic on the top surface that needs to be filled before you prime and paint.  

11 hours ago, pack rat said:

Thanks, Scott.

If you test-fit the outboard motor halves you might find a missing section of plastic on the top surface that needs to be filled before you prime and paint.  

Yea. HPI guy pointed that one out in his video review of the kit on YouTube. Despite be fairly toy like and in an odd scale (not 1/25), I like looks of this kit. I forgot how impressed I was as a kid with Chrysler boats and motors. At the time, I couldn't understand why GM and Ford didn't offer boats too. Especially Ford. After all these guys offered tractors and serval other products under the Ford label. 

I am glad Round 2 simplified this kit, taking away some of the toy aspects of this kit. I really don't need or want the electric motor the kit had. Just for one simple spinning propeller? It's not worth the effort for that feature to me.

35 minutes ago, Paul Hettick said:

Hi Bob, Are you referring to the chrome scripts? They are on the chrome tree. Also, the small front flag is well hidden in the kit. I thought it was part of the sprue and tossed it out. Had to buy another kit to get it.

Yes, scripts. I have old Palmer and Round 2 versions. Need to inspect closer.

Very nice job on your boat and trailer.

Most trailers  had hard black rubber rollers that the keel traveled on. At least my father's Gator trailer had them.

23 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

Most trailers  had hard black rubber rollers that the keel traveled on. At least my father's Gator trailer had them.

Rollers vs Sliders depended on the construction method and internal structure of the boat. My dad's wooden 1950 Chris Craft had to be on a trailer with sliders because rollers would apply too much direct pressure to the wood. I think rollers are generally used on more modern boats made of aluminum or fiberglass, but of course there are always exceptions