Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Chrysler Hydro-Vee "Charger" Boat Kit and Other Boat Kits

DSC_0626-vi.jpg

Here's the box art. Unfortunately, the scale is larger than 1/25th (guessing between 1/16 and 1/20), but the kit itself is very nice, if somewhat simplified. I picked up mine off the 'Bay at around $85 IIRC, which was a very good deal as this kit is seldom seen and when it does appear, it can go for big bucks if there are multiple bidders.

For more on 1/25th scale Drag and Ski Boats (this is for those who have not looked at my Fotki site before), see my Fotki album at the following link: http://public.fotki....yd-model-boats/

UPDATE 3 Feb 2013 - try this link if the above does not work... http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/tim-boyds-124th--12/boyd-model-boats/boyd-boats-/

Thanks for looking....TIM

Edited by Casey

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Dennis Doty tells an interesting story about this...turns out the boat was a product of a side company run by one of AMT's executives back in the day. The "west" in "westcraft" came from part of his last name.

Building on Don's note, I agree that it onlly came in this one kit. It is available as a resin rebop, however, from either Replicans and Mi niatures of Maryland or Scale Equipment Limited (doing this from memory guys, so any corrections are welcome!)

Also, thanks everyone for your feedback on my original post.

Best regards..TIM

I didnt know there were that many boats offered, other than the navy boats, we need to show all the boats, topic

I think we've already turned this topic into just that. ^_^

Here's the mini speedboat offered in the 1/25 Revell "River Rat" Chevy Luv combo kit:

RevellRiverRat.jpg

Was this Westcraft boat ever offered in another kit, or only in this AMT '64 Chevelle El Camino?:

I remember this one. This was a cool little boat and the '64 El Camino wasn't bad either, it had a pretty cool 327 with hop-up options and plenty of chrome. This is the only place I ever remember seeing the boat. I still have the El Camino but, the boat is gone. I kept dropping it and losing the parts and eventually all that was left was the shell. I had it painted yellow and the El Camino Red, always thought they looked good together.