[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
tim boyd

MPC Chrysler Hydro-Vee "Charger" Boat Kit and Other Boat Kits

On the issue of rollers or sliders, The rollers would work well if the trailer could not be submerged enough to get under the hull for loading and unloading of the boat. The draw back to the rollers was rapid deterioration and pressure on small parts of the haul. The two boat/trailer combinations that I have owned were both the slider style and this spread the support of the haul over a much wider area and these were Fiberglass hauls so that was very important. I built one of the Hemi Hydro kits last year and the kit represents a combination of the two styles. Assembly is a little fussy and the mounting points for the rollers are very iffy to say the least. The kit provided parts for a hand cranked pully assist for loading the boat. The scale is off, but if you think about it it would be very hard to replicate the 1:1 in 1/25th scale anyway.   

On 10/18/2018 at 8:19 AM, espo said:

I built one of the Hemi Hydro kits last year. The scale is off.  

Don't say that too loud, or you'll start a fight with Tim Boyd, right Tim?  ;):P

Edited by Mr. Metallic

6 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Don't say that too loud, or you'll start a fight with Tim Boyd, right Tim?  ;):P

Smile…but not a fight, just a discussion :)  TIM 

PS - when I first read that comment, I presumed it applied to the rollers on the trailer.  And in that case, I totally agree that they are out of scale!    TIM  

Edited by tim boyd

I was in fact talking about the rollers. As for the haul, in my opinion anyway, the bow portion running too about the seating area is more Tug Boat than Flat Bottom. Based on the boats that I have been around that were owned by friends that had Flat Bottoms this area was much narrower and sleeker looking. This may have to do with the hauls manufacture as much as anything. It would impossible to say really without knowing which manufacture the haul is based upon. This is still a great kit and I have a few others that I have picked up thru the years for future builds. The trailer thing can be fixed. One change I did on my build was to cover the step plates on the side of the trailer with some scale diamond plate much like you see on many boat trailers. The rear lighting and license plate mounting is another area that you will need to get creative with, but isn't that half the fun of building a model in the first place.     

I think we can (nearly) all agree that the Revell boat kit hull is too wide at the seating area, perhaps even way too wide. 

But the overall hull length is clearly similar to the other 1/25th scale drag boat kits, which means that the kit was intended to be in 1/25th scale (it was originally marketed and advertised by Revell in its 1963 "Show and Go" release as a companion kit to their 1/25th 1956 F-100 kit).  

Interesting as well is that the hull width of the original AMT Rayson Craft kit is much wider than the hull width (at the seating area) of the Kindsvater hull that is in the retooled AMT "Hull Raiser" kit.  Not nearly as wide as the Revell kit, but wider than I think we generally would expect having used the Hull Raiser kit as our primary basis of comparison.  

Excellent comments, btw.  Thanks....TIM 

On 2/1/2013 at 8:32 PM, Casey said:

Was this Westcraft boat ever offered in another kit, or only in this AMT '64 Chevelle El Camino?:

AMT64ElCamino7.jpg

Miniatures and Replicas of Maryland sells a resin of this one . Norm Veeber sure does great products . Thanx 

On 10/11/2018 at 12:00 AM, peteski said:

Are there any photos on the box sides showing that area? I'm not an expert but it seems to me that the mounts on the outboard motor's halves have to be glued into slots in parts #10.  Just like the dashed-line shows. On a real boat those areas would likely be hinged so the motor can tilt. Then the backs of parts #10 woudl be glued to the boats stern (rear), again as shown on the diagram. 

Looking at the long side of the box in one of Tim's pics of the original issue's box, you can see how the battery was mounted and where. I can't make out the position of the straps, but I would guess they attach to the underside of the floor:

chrysvboat.jpg.9a2cfad1e8c0ae52e218647e773a929a.jpg

Here's another pic of the mini boat found in the Revell "River Rat" kit, too:

RevellRiverRatBoat.jpg

On 5/29/2017 at 9:14 PM, GLMFAA1 said:

Could not pass up this opportunity to show this off:

P1000304.jpg

Robbe 1/24th scale German fireboat, Figures are Tamiya German soldiers and Revell fire figures. Boat is radio controlled by 16 channel radio, pumps water, launches boat at aft and more.

can't trailer this baby!

greg

Beautiful Build Greg . Thanx ..