Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diorama Materials

vintagestang

I want to build a service station diorama. I will probably get my styrene from Evergreen. What should I use for walls to put the metal siding on? How far apart and how thick should the siding be? Where can I get a pre-made 1/25th scale gas pump (preferrably Shell or Exxon)? How do I make hinges for the door? I will get the tool set from ModelRoundup. And what else do I need to know in general about building dioramas? I have never built one before. And I read Dr. Crankys thread on his diorama too.

Patrick I would start by looking around your home town or within five or ten miles outside of town to find some of your inspiration. I've used "FOTKI" as you can type in "Old gas stations" in their search and get a ton of photos to look at. Most service stations from around the thirties forward were built of cinder blocks. so the width of one of these in scale would be around 5/16". If you are going to use a textured material resembling cinder block, you could look at using foam core (around a 1'4" thick)for your walls to adhere the siding to. You can get it at most craft stores. This material is really easy to cut. As to a gas pump, I would look at possibly "Ebay". You could always find one and due it up for Shell or Exxon.

I hope this helps. Mark