Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW IDEA ON A MODEL DRYING BOX

Guest fivespot300

wow looks like my model car paint dryer but mine cost $5.00 and 5 min .. olololololl but i still like it ..needs a dust fillter

Well, it certainly looks nicer than my cardboard box with a 60W light bulb and 12V muffin fan. The one thing I think it needs for car drying (or for drying oil paints) is a source of gentle heat to get the temp up to 100-110F. The circulating air on its own will not make that much of a difference in cure times. Dust is not so much a concern for me since I let my stuff dry tack-free in the paint booth, then transfer it to the drying box.

The little miniature figurines, are probably fine for this tupperware setup as would be lead soldiers or game pieces.

Minute amounts of dust being forced through the box would not be a big deal for this stuff.

If it works for you that's all you need to care about.

I can't see it being of any use for much else besides small parts.

My observations,

Screw the box down to a tabletop and secure it.

As lightweight as it is a slight nudge would rock around anything inside.

Do something with all that wiring laying around. The setup takes up too much room with all that loose wiring.

Maybe the wiring was left out in the open to show how everything hooked up.

For these little miniature figurines I would still go with my idea of a 3lb. coffee can or 1 gallon bucket with both ends cut out and a cheap $5-$10 gooseneck lamp placed above the open top.

You need some heat to cure things.

A lot less hardware to set up and knock down.

One other thing I noticed in the top video,

Wonder if anyone else caught this.

Marco's voice was clear and normal sounding in the first part of the top video but once he was off camera the voice sounded like Stephen Hawking.

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

Excellent idea, I'm going to harvest the fan out of a recently departed laptop after I leave here. Two filtration ideas one outgoing air and one incoming air.

(1.) One of the videos mentioned an activated charcoal filter to absorb paint fumes. What about the activated charcoal water filters for the

Mr. Coffee coffee maker? They come in a package of two for a couple of bucks, not certain how they would flow air, water molecules are

larger than air so it should work.

(2.) For the air filter what about some sort of automotive air filter, could be something as simple as the paper filter element sandwhiched

between two pie tins with the fan inside and mounted to the top of the box. (Not the aluminum kind, way too thin.) The top and bottom

of the air filter could either be "glued" to the element with a bead of silicone or 3 or 4 short sheetmetal screws directly into the rubber

top and bottom of the filter element.

Edited by Skip