Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dispose of materials

I see everyone uses their fair share of chemicals...whether it is brake fluid for stripping paint, or products for cleaning airbrushes...My question is, what in the world do you guys do with the used chemicals? Some of you seem very earth friendly so I cant imagine you just pouring it in your yards or down the drain, so how do you get rid of your chemicals?

I dump my thinner and whatnot all behind the garage...we don't have grass back there.

Not near me you don't! Please guys Do Not BE LAZY ! You can take all of these to your service station, and they will recycle it for you.

It is my understanding that most of what we use can be left open to atmosphere and allowed to evaporate then dumped. I do that with LaCquer thinner,other thinners,paints etc. I would like to make a sanding table where a vacuum would suck all the dust into some kind of container,similar to the systems a good wood shop might have.

I don't have access to a service station..I don't drive yet. I don't think we have any around here anyway

If you have ANY auto repair or car parts stores in your area, the are required by law to take ANY AND ALL automotive waste products for recycling. This includes oil, antifreeze, amd brake fluid. There's really no exuse.

If you have ANY auto repair or car parts stores in your area, the are required by law to take ANY AND ALL automotive waste products for recycling. This includes oil, antifreeze, amd brake fluid. There's really no exuse.

The closest one to us is 10 miles...I really don't see why I can't dump it behind the garage. It's only small quantities at a time (the size of an airbrush jar at the most). :)

Dumping it is still dumping, regardless of amount. Are you on city water, or a well? If you're on a well, and you're dumping thinner/brake fluid/whatever, that's going to go right into the water table. If you're on a well, that's right into your drinking water. Diluting wiht with "a bunch of water" and "dumping over the fence" doesn't change things either.

It really shocks me how many on here dump their chemicals like that. Do any of you do the same with your motor oil and antifreeze from your 1:1?

Dumping it is still dumping, regardless of amount. Are you on city water, or a well? If you're on a well, and you're dumping thinner/brake fluid/whatever, that's going to go right into the water table. If you're on a well, that's right into your drinking water. Diluting wiht with "a bunch of water" and "dumping over the fence" doesn't change things either.

It really shocks me how many on here dump their chemicals like that. Do any of you do the same with your motor oil and antifreeze from your 1:1?

Our well is a good 150 ft. away from my "dumping station". :lol: The motor oil goes on our burnpile and I'm not sure about antifreeze, we've never really had to dump it.

ir-re-spon-si-ble:

adjective

(of a person, attitude, or action) not showing a proper sense of responsibility: [with infinitive] it would have been irresponsible to dump used brake fluid over the fence.

noun

an irresponsible person: there will always be irresponsibles who believe it is OK to dump used brake fluid over the fence.

la-zy:

adjective

unwilling to work or use energy: I'm very lazy by nature - he was too lazy to dispose of the used brake fluid in a responsible manner.

characterized by lack of effort or activity: lazy summer days.

showing a lack of effort or care: lazy writing.

Apparently, irresponsible and/or lazy people can be found anywhere. Even in the modeling world.

Edited by Cruzcontrol

Hey - don't all these petroleum products already exist in the ground? I mean, I know we've refined them & added stuff to them, but ultimately, all that stuff was derived from materials that already exist in the environment. Just Sayin'...

Exactly. That had me a bit confused as well.

They're far more toxic after being refined. Also, most of the petroleum products are located very deep in the ground, usually well below the water table. By dumping it on the surface, you're putting it right into the water table, even if it seems far enough away from the actual pumping point.

Hey - don't all these petroleum products already exist in the ground? I mean, I know we've refined them & added stuff to them, but ultimately, all that stuff was derived from materials that already exist in the environment. Just Sayin'...

Exactly. That had me a bit confused as well.

I'm no bunny hugger......But I do have a well and use it for drinking.....Since these products are no big deal...why don't y'all drink them....????

I save my lacquer thinner to mix with RC Cola. The cocktail makes watching WWE Monday Night Raw & Friday Night Smackdown easier to watch.

Isn't that what Brock Lesner did a while back??

I'm no bunny hugger......But I do have a well and use it for drinking.....Since these products are no big deal...why don't y'all drink them....????

I already have :lol: Seriously though, as far away as our well is, it would get so diluted out it wouldn't harm anything. Also remember, the water you're drinking could be thousands of years old, so I think a little bit of thinner isn't any worse than what's already in it... :unsure::P

I already have :lol: Seriously though, as far away as our well is, it would get so diluted out it wouldn't harm anything. Also remember, the water you're drinking could be thousands of years old, so I think a little bit of thinner isn't any worse than what's already in it... :unsure::P

This is our FUTURE ? C'MON MAN !!!!

After using brake fluid for stripping a body, I pour it back into its bottle for another few uses.

Doug makes an excellent point here folks . Brake fluid will allow the solid paint fragments to settle in the bottom of a container in usually about a week . I do the same thing . Yes , I have recycled old Brake fluid to strip paint on several projects . Meanwhile , see if there are hazardous material recycling drives in you're area . Often times such materials are picked up in cities . Ed Shaver

Not near me you don't! Please guys Do Not BE LAZY ! You can take all of these to your service station, and they will recycle it for you.

since you didn't read my first post SSAndy is only 13...He needs to do just as you do...I don't want this in my groundwater, as I use my well not city water

I don't think many get it...I work with toxic substances daily...As I am a CPCO..I follow all EPA rules on disposal...triple rinse, etc

Fight with me all you want....You do dispose correctly you state...because you must understand the need...As Bill stated

Posted Today, 03:56 PM

They're far more toxic after being refined. Also, most of the petroleum products are located very deep in the ground, usually well below the water table. By dumping it on the surface, you're putting it right into the water table, even if it seems far enough away from the actual pumping point.

Bill Burmeister

ASE Certified Master Mechanic

Edited by MikeMc