Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stanced Toyota MarkII

LAone

ok, so along with my celica and impala i have this going on as well. im trying to get these 3 done for the citrus nationals in may. a bit over a month of time...will it happen?? dunno...lols but im gonna try my best.

the style here is Stance. lowered, cambered and just simple clean form and function. I love the way big 4 door sedans look dropped on some deep offset wheels so i went with Aoshima's D1 series Weld MarkII, a fairly disappointing kit if your looking to do a replica of the actual Weld D1 contendor. there is no drift style interior, the ride hieght sucks and the bumpers are ill fitting. heck, even the exhaust system sucks...it's gonna take some effort, but im always up for a challenge.

I put the bumpers on and put some putty to fill some of the gaps and get the proper bumper seams. you can see that it still needs a bit of work. then i added some styrene stripes to the sideskirt to give it more ommff. their a bit soft rounded out of the box. i want something a bit edgier. in the first pics you'll see some white wheels, these are resin work miester wheels, but unfortuntely they need more cleaning than what i want to deal with. so i opted for some aoshima gartmier wheels with some extra lip and the tires from the work wheels. i didnt take a pic of the suspension work or the bumper work i did last night. so here are what i have so far, more later tonight.

091.jpg

101.jpg

006.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

• 1 month later...

thanks fellas. sorry for not repling sooner. im the type to reply when i have an update. like now..lols

so i have been working on this very slowly in between the celica and impala. i have painted some of the suspension parts, the chassis has been painted with the color that i will use on the body and the body has some primer. i found a few rough spots that i still need to work on. it's really close to getting paint on there though.

my wife chose the color for this one, it's called "apple mint" or "minty apple" one of the two....its nail polish. my first time using it too and wont be the last. i first primed it, then shot some tamiya mica silver for a base. i then shot the NP at about 35psi to get a rough surface(techique learned here) and then lowered the psi to smooth it out and bring out the color. this was the result. i havent cleared it yet. but from what i got on my spoon tests, it's gonna pop nice with the testors clear coat.

photo-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

heres how the front bumper looks now.

photo3.jpg

That my friend would be part of the Aoshima line that is discontinued. Ebay and some online hobby shops(mostly Japanese) are about the only place to find these unless you get lucky. I am loving the look you have going on here, that nail polish color is looking really good. Your body work looks real nice and it will show in the end. Keep going bro

• 4 weeks later...

thanks guys.

i know these 2 pics look the same as the ones above. but there is a difference. the stance and ride height is now locked in. no more tweaking needed. all wheels sit flush with the fender arches and yes, they are really flush. i also put some putty on what i hope to be the last of it so i can lay down the mica silver base coat.

photo7.jpg

photo6.jpg

last night i put the rear suspension components on. later tonight the front goes on and it will be on all fours...lols i just need to paint the details, add some weathering and make a new exhaust. the kit one sucks big time...lols

photo9-1.jpg

im sure there is a ton of details that could have been added to the suspension parts, but i have no time fore that. so i only painted the sway bar a cusco blue.

photo10-2.jpg

Edited by LAone

i have the suspension in place, painted chassis details and have laid down some mica silver for the base for hte apple mint color.

the interior will be tan with plaid inserts and a pair black recaro seats which will also have the plaid insterts. i printed the plaid pattern on some clear decal sheet, hope it works out..

photo11-1.jpg

photo12-1.jpg