Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is my first real go at building a model kit since i was ten years old(20 years ago), It's the AMT kit and was a nightmare to bulid but after a lot of putty, sanding and time i think i did a pretty good job considering i'd never used an airbrush or built a model as an adult.

IMGP1060.jpgIMGP1061.jpgIMGP1062.jpgIMGP1065.jpgIMGP1066.jpg

Ive built up 4 AMT kits and only 1 of them went together well, I'm not sure if i've just been unlucky but it has made me think twice about buying them. The first 2 kits i ever built were AMT and both were a nightmare, it almost put me off building altogether but i got myself a revell Corvette and a Tamiya mustang and i havn't looked back since. My playstation is now sat gathering dust !

Ive built up 4 AMT kits and only 1 of them went together well, I'm not sure if i've just been unlucky but it has made me think twice about buying them. The first 2 kits i ever built were AMT and both were a nightmare, it almost put me off building altogether but i got myself a revell Corvette and a Tamiya mustang and i havn't looked back since. My playstation is now sat gathering dust !

Not all amt kits are bad, in fact I have had good results with most of the kits I have built. It really has to do with what kind of kits you build, most of the car kits go together well but I have had bad results with planes and semi trucks. It also has to do with the age of the kit you are building, I have better results with older amt kits in comparison to the newer kits

thanks for that, it's good to know i've just been a bit unlucky, the bad AMT kits were all lisenced (slave 1, General Lee and Star Destroyer) maybe thathas something to do with it. I'll keep a more open mind when i see them for sale and hopefully i'll get my hands on some good ones.

I've got this and a bunch of the other Amt Star Wars Kits I built about 18 years ago. This is actually one of the better ones. The R2-D2 figure and Darth Vader's Tie-Fighter are pretty good. The Snap-kits are pretty really crappy. (AT-ST, Hoth hangar, etc) Your coloring is very good, you should practice your drybrushing, the colors would blend much better, fading into one another, and not look as blotchy.

Edited by Zarana-X

thanks a lot, do you mean the bright red areas looking particularly blotchy ? It was my first attempt at drybrushing and i'm planning on getting the finemolds version when finances allow it, I want to do the finemolds one to a good standard so any tips or criticisms you have will be appreciated, i'm already much improved with my model making so getting better with drybrushing should lead me to making an improved version.