Model Cars Magazine Forum

I believe this is a 1958 ford super duty .

• 2 weeks later...

It's at least at least a f600 or above due to the three ports in the rock guard . Also they were offered with a 534ci v8 .Here's a post I found on how's it work.com

1958 Ford F-Series

1958 Ford Trucks

Although the major 1958 news stories at Ford Motor Company were the introduction of the 1958 Ford trucks. Like their automotive counterparts, nearly all Ford trucks were restyled to accommodate quad headlights. But the big change -- literally -- was a new line of heavier-duty model trucks called Super Duty, which came equipped with new V-8 engines of up to a whopping 534 cubic inches.

Edited by hotrod59f100

Neat truck, but I think you have a lot of work ahead of you if it becomes yours. Is there even a back end? It looks kind of like a cab and front axle only.

Not a Super Duty. Still a cool Ford. May be a F-250 or up. The term "Super Duty F-Series" didn't come until the redesign in '97. That put more diesels on the road. Back then, nothing but big block gasoline engines!

Super Duty replaced Big Job on Ford heavy duty trucks in 1958. The truck pictured is at least an F-500, and if it is a Super Duty it would be an F-800 or larger with the 401-534 Super Duty gas motor. Ford began offering diesels in medium / heavy duty trucks in the early 1960s.

Super Duty was also used on the 1980s/90s Ford trucks in the larger than F-350, smaller than F-600 class (what now is the F-450). The trucks looked like an F-350 but had some improvements and said Super Duty instead of F-350.

Edited by Aaronw

Judging from the grille, it is a 1959 or 1960 model. The 1958 would have had a cross-hatch or 'egg crate' pattern grille, while the '59 and '60 Super Duty trucks had the horizontal bar motif the truck in the picture has. The '60 pickups, panels, and non-SD trucks had a revised grille, but the heavy F and T series trucks used a carryover '59 grille. Then again, the truck's finish indicates it may have been repainted a time or two, and it could be a '58 model fitted with a later grille. The hood emblems were similar for all three years.

I agree with you on the grill chuck. My 1.1 59 f100 has the same grill. The thing that throws me off which is hard to see in the pic is it has the 58 hood with the raised fined or lines . But it could be a early 59 . Some parts roled over till they used up what was on hand so I heard to tell. One day I'll get brave and ask the owner.