Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 1/8 dragster...... any good ?

cobraman

It is a pretty nice kit but is probably closer to 6th or7th scale rather than 1/8th scale.

I would have to disagree at this point in time.

I just recently acquired two of the Exterminator kits as well as two of the old Lindberg Yellow Canary, and I've been using them as parts sources for my 1/8 Revell Big Deuce-based channeled rod build. Frankly, I was VERY enthusiastic when I opened the kits and saw how much potential is there for building old-school machines in 1/8 (building out-of-the box leaves a little to be desired though).

The Lindberg parts are 1/8 (though built-up the Canary looks a little odd, it's more a poorly-proportioned hot-rod than poorly-scaled parts). Parts swap between the Lindberg kits and the Revell 1/8 kits just as easily as parts in 1/25 swap between manufacturers for kitbashing. The rear end in the Canary is out of scale slightly (too large) but otherwise, the kit is very close to 1/8 in most dimensions...including the T tub being quite close to the Revell version in the Big T kit (I just compared them).

The only two downsides to the Exterminator are the engines and the front wire wheels. 

Though the engines kinda look like small-block Chevys, they aren't (though I'm sure I'll get argument on this). What they ARE is generic V8 engines based on Ford Y-blocks. The Exterminator engines are based on other Lindberg V8 engines, and the blocks and heads are identical to the engine in the Yellow Canary kit...which has almost every readily identifiable Y-block characteristic including the front sump / rear angled distributor, plugs directly under the exhaust ports, and the signature front cover design.

The engines in the Exterminator have been 'genericised' with the addition of a different timing cover, and the magneto being installed as on a Chevy rather than angled like on a Ford Y-block. 

The front wire wheels measure out to be about scale 22" rims. I've seen 22" motorcycle wires, but 17" is probably more common on old diggers.

In the final analysis, these are both great kitbashing starting points, and I really hope to see more of the old Lindberg offerings re-released.

Image result for lindberg exterminator      Image result for lindberg yellow canary

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

If you look at TDR offerings from Shapeways that are probably a more  accurate 1/8th. After all, they are CAD designed and printed. Monogram seems to be more 1/9th in comparison. The engine from Lindberg is an odd combination of Y Block and small block Chevy. Parma sold the engines as SBC for their R/C 1/10 cars. The nice thing about their engine is it accepts the resin Ardun heads/valve covers like a glove...therefore producing a cool "model" engine. Still have to take in to account it is a model car. Tires and wheels are odd sized as well....not fitting Monograms tires. As stated prior "building out-of-the box leaves a little to be desired though". I do not care much for the T kits themselves, though, the Tall T gave something new to work from.

Bottom line is there are more parts to work with. I use parts for all types of scratch building. The wire wheels in Canary kits are awesome (it's finding cool tires to go with them that is the problem) You get a track nose, too.

A-Gg above hit it on the head...."these are both great kit bashing starting points"

I once bought 25 Tall T bodies direct from Lindberg...skipped the rest of the kit. Sold a few, gave away a few and cut up a lot.

I just want to see the new addition of the Comp Coupe.:rolleyes: I have too many parts from too many Lindberg kits in my bone yard.

Enjoy

tzd-th[1].jpg

pick99paint3-th[1].jpg

Edited by modelsmith
duplicate words

• 2 weeks later...