Model Cars Magazine Forum

'27 T Lo-Boy - Completed 6-13, now showing Under Glass

Bernard Kron

Looking good Bernard! That's probably a good decision to hold off on paint till all the fabrication is complete. I have rushed into paint too often. Nice progress and thinking ahead. Keep the pictures coming please!

Edited by rmvw guy

Thanx everyone!!!

So this is what ya been doin'...

Hiya Curt! I hope things are well with you. This isn't the only thing I've got goin' - RP and I have a radical chopped and sectioned '39 Ford Tudor happenin' done somewhat in the style of Raul's '40 Ford Coupe Street Rod of a coupla years back except with my ol' skool influence as well. Needless to say Raul's providing all the physical work but it's cool to be collaborating with him. You should check it out. It's on Raul's fotki.

This stage of doing the interior is now complete. I made the dashboard and windshield, both of which will receive more work as the build progresses. I’m accustomed to making complete interiors in advance of final assembly, including all paint and finish work. But that’s not possible here because of the bolster which runs all the way around the interior. It needs to be glued into the body before final sanding and filling to shape. After everything is primered using white primer I’ll mask the body and finish out the interior in Testors Pearl White. Then I’ll mask the interior, remove the body masking and paint the body Testors Inca Gold.

The dashboard turned out to be a very simple affair, with the continuation of the bolster across the front of the cabin and a simple rectangular dash with an oval extension dropping slightly below the lower edge containing a Model Car Garage photo-etch instrument cluster.

The windshield is a narrowed AMT ’32 Ford Phaeton piece which is held in place currently with rubber cement. It will most likely be chopped and have the upper cross piece removed.

For now it’s onwards to chassis, suspension, and body finish work in preparation for paint. Here are a coupla pics.

Thanx for lookin’,

B.

DSCF9752-web.jpg

DSCF9756-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanx everyone!!!

Hiya Curt! I hope things are well with you. This isn't the only thing I've got goin' - RP and I have a radical chopped and sectioned '39 Ford Tudor happenin' done somewhat in the style of Raul's '40 Ford Coupe Street Rod of a coupla years back except with my ol' skool influence as well. Needless to say Raul's providing all the physical work but it's cool to be collaborating with him. You should check it out. It's on Raul's fotki.

Bernard, I'm doin' OK just dealin' with a lil' leakage here and there, but gretting better every day

Yup, I've been lookin' at what he's doin' for ya...purty kool B)

hey it's keepin' him buildin' anyway - good job!

c'ya

I like your style, Bern. VERY helpful in MY digs, thanks. Doin 53 Chevy 4door 4X4 Rollback en this WILL b very helpful in my build, thanks 4 bein my friend. It's V10 Viper powered, juso U no. Believin U jus made my interior work a LOT easier

Edited by race06

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx guys!

Giant sigh of relief!!!

I got the basic painting done, but not without some heavy melodrama. I started by shooting the frame and body in Duplicolor white primer. Then I masked the main body surfaces, leaving the upholstery exposed. The interior colors (Duplicolor Ivory White covered with Testors White Lightning pearl white) went on OK. Then I removed the main body masking and masked the upholstery surfaces in preparation for shooting the main body color of Testors Inca Gold. So far so good...

Unfortunately I got a defective can of Inca Gold which spattered as I sprayed the first coat. The damage was done, setting the basis for a bad case of orange peel. So I shot more color to fill in the gaps in the spatter. Then I waited 10 days for the paint to get good and hard and wet sanded with 1500 grit and 2000 grit and polished out the result. The paint surface was now nice and smooth but the uniformity of the metallic pattern was gone and there were spots where the primer showed through. So I got a replacement can of Inca Gold and hoped it was a good one. This time I test shot it on some scrap bodywork. It was good! And it went down smooth on the body!!! Then I applied 4 coats of Duplicolor clear.

The moment of truth came with removing the masking tape. The paint, it turns out, will require no touch up and has nice crisp edges. Here's a color check picture taken in bright sunlight. The contrast between the white upholstery surfaces and the flaked gold paint is what I was after. Major relief on my part... I'll wait a few days to polish out the clear. Meanwhile I'll paint the grill shell and some frame bits and begin assembly work.

DSCF9859-web.jpg

I think I'm going to like this build.

How is a person supposed to find a part (like that air filter) on the Modelhaus site? Very confusing place to me.

I have one that could head in your direction....email or PM me B)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx guys.

I continue to make progress, although I'm moving pretty slowly because almost everything needs to be tweaked, modified, or built from scratch. The fact that I want lots of chrome means that hunting through my parts stash for the proper bits is especially demanding, since much of what I'm looking for has to be plated.

Here are pictures of the completed chassis. The bulk of the suspension parts are from the Revellogram '30 Ford Sedan kit with the front shocks from an AMT '25 T and the rear shocks from an AMT '29 T kit (the hot rod parts). The AMT '34 rear spring has been foiled. I decided against the posable steering feature of the '30 Ford because I had to move the tie rod in front of the front axle and the whole affair was getting too fragile and fiddly. Also in the pics are the chrome front wheels from Modelhaus.

The chassis will get a chrome drive shaft cut to length during final assembly, along with the steering box and shaft.

I'm at the point where I can start final assembly and selection of the remaining detail parts such as the gear shift level, headlights and taillights. The most difficult part remaining will most likely be the fabrication of a pair of lakes pipes.

Thanx for lookin',

B.

DSCF9900-web.jpg

DSCF9881-web.jpg

DSCF9883-web.jpg

DSCF9892-web.jpg

Thanx everyone (except Raul ... wiseguy... :P:D ).

I had a set back which at first I thought was major, but which turned out to be minor. The parts pack headers I used were nice and shiny and fit the chassis OK, but when I tried the floor pan assembly it turned out the headers forced the engine a little too far back to allow the transmission to fit in the floor tunnel. Short of moving the engine mounts or rebuilding the floor pan, neither of which I wanted to do since they're fully painted out and had required a great deal of work to fabricate, I needed headers with a rearward exit on the driver's side. The solution was to use the set from the Revell '49 Merc. The good news is a friend of mine had some to spare which he sent me. The bad news is that I lost the chrome plating. If I finished them in Metalizer aluminum plate and gave them a good buffing, with the headers tight against the engine block the overall look would still be acceptable.

The headers arrived (Thanx Raul.... :lol::P ). I shot them with plate aluminum metalizer, gave them a good buffing and got down to making the side pipes from aluminum tubing. The pipes were then polished out to a chrome like shine using polishing cloths and a final polish with Simichrome. Here's the result.

Thanx for lookin',

B.

DSCF9959-web.jpgDSCF9958-web.jpgDSCF9957-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanx everyone (except Raul ... wiseguy... :P:D ).

The headers arrived (Thanx Raul.... :lol::P.

I couldn't help it :) In fact, I'm still laughing at that one :):)

Anyway, I'm glad to see that the headers I sent worked for you. They look like the fit really well!!

Later,