Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '50 Oldsmobile Club Coupe 2'n1

From what I have heard, Revell was actually working on this kit before the Hobbico takeover, and shelved it for a few years. It was not until they caught wind of Moebius' plans to produce the Hudson and Chrysler that they took it out of mothballs.

• 4 weeks later...

Why dont they just include an extra engine and be done with it! That way we will have our hot rod motors and still be able to finish the kit build.Or maybe someone can resin cast some up.

Ken Kitchen at Kitchen Tables Resins has done a very nice one: http://public.fotki....bile-j2-engine/

OldsJ2Label-vi.jpg

dano001-vi.jpg

dano002-vi.jpg

"This engine was built by Daniel Robinson using some parts not included in the kit.

The headers came from Revell Special Edition 69 Nova kit as well as the air cleaners.

Daniel says the carbs came from his parts box but he believes they originally came

from the Monogram 65 GTO kit."

Art's comment on the big box stores is right on. In the 80's I sold and serviced construction equipment, a lot of which was tile saws. Home Despot moved in right across the street ( true story ) and began selling Tile Saws, from the same manufacturer as mine. When my sales fell flat, and a boatload of customers complained, I learned that my saws were being sold across the street for less than I paid for them. I was on a first name basis with the manufacturer, so I called and said " Bob D., what the ****?" His response was that he could sell me 20 or 30 saws in a year, or he could sell Home Despot 20 or 30 saws a month. So it came down to basic economics. Ugh!

checked with my lhs today, he says the 50 Olds is ready for Sept, 2012, & is a 2 in 1 kit...we shall see....

I talked to a Revell rep just this past Saturday as they had a display at the Milwaukee NNL 20 and the Olds was displayed on a board showing all the parts and also the '62 Corvette and the '57 Ford the same way. He said to look for these kits in Sept., Oct., & Nov..

Tower Hobbies' release dates:

'50 Olds Coupe 2'n 1 - late September

'62 'Vette Raodster 2'n 1 - late August

'57 Ford Custom 2'n 1 - December 2012

Tower Hobbies' release dates:

'50 Olds Coupe 2'n 1 - late September

'62 'Vette Raodster 2'n 1 - late August

'57 Ford Custom 2'n 1 - December 2012

I know the connection and all(ownership wise), but who deemed Tower Hobbies as the be all and end all of release dates? Tower has over the course of the first 6 months of this year been wildly wrong about release dates numerous times, randomly swinging the dates around with little rhyme or reason.

Example right now Moebius said this week their Great Dane trailer is coming out in Late July, Tower has it as June. Moebius '52 Hudson Convertible...has been in your LHS for the past week, I know I just bought one, according to T.H. they don't even have it in stock yet. The Tamiya Toyota 86 kit says "Order Pending", my copy I pre-ordered on HLJ was ready for shipment YESTERDAY!

It's nothing against anyone here, the over-trusting of T.H. is rampant across several message boards I frequent. I guess I can appreciate the ballpark guesstimate nature, but they shouldn't attach a date to something when they clearly don't actually have a concrete date in the first place, and can't update their stock correctly when things do become available.

Edited by niteowl7710

I know the connection and all(ownership wise), but who deemed Tower Hobbies as the be all and end all of release dates? Tower has over the course of the first 6 months of this year been wildly wrong about release dates numerous times, randomly swinging the dates around with little rhyme or reason.

Example right now Moebius said this week their Great Dane trailer is coming out in Late July, Tower has it as June. Moebius '52 Hudson Convertible...has been in your LHS for the past week, I know I just bought one, according to T.H. they don't even have it in stock yet. The Tamiya Toyota 86 kit says "Order Pending", my copy I pre-ordered on HLJ was ready for shipment YESTERDAY!

It's nothing against anyone here, the over-trusting of T.H. is rampant across several message boards I frequent. I guess I can appreciate the ballpark guesstimate nature, but they shouldn't attach a date to something when they clearly don't actually have a concrete date in the first place, and can't update their stock correctly when things do become available.

James, you bring up a good point and the lesson is that until it is on the shelves at your LHS or shown being available from your online source, we just have to wait. Many of us have waited this long, what is a few more weeks or a couple of months. My frustration comes from endless delays only to have something cancelled when the manufacturer probably knew all along that the kit wasn't coming!

I know the connection and all(ownership wise), but who deemed Tower Hobbies as the be all and end all of release dates?

I don't think anybody did-- and I sure didn't. Just trying to head off the inevitable "When is this kit coming out? They anounced it last October!! It's been over a year!!" questions.

It's nothing against anyone here, the over-trusting of T.H. is rampant across several message boards I frequent. I guess I can appreciate the ballpark guesstimate nature,

I don't have blind faith in any "announced" release date, but I don't worry over when a kit is going to arrive. It'll be here when it gets here, and I think that's all these dates should be used as- estimates.

It doesn't matter to me when they release this kit as long as they do in fact release it. I rarely buy new kits as soon as they hit the shelves anyway. There are several new releases that I still haven't bought yet. Some of them I have no intentions of ever buying. I just recently bought the Gremlin kit and it's been out how long now? Before forums/websites devoted to the hobby, most of us didn't know about a new kit until it hit the shelves anyway. At least the kit companies are letting us know about new kits that are coming out.

Before forums/websites devoted to the hobby, most of us didn't know about a new kit until it hit the shelves anyway. At least the kit companies are letting us know about new kits that are coming out.

Well yes and no. It depending how connected you chose to be. AMT during the late 80's/early 90's brought "The Blueprinter" back out, which was a direct pipeline of kit announcements from AMT/Ertl & MPC. I still get a chuckle when I find one of those subscription cards in kits of that vintage I find still factory sealed, since most everyone pitched them as soon as they opened the kits.

The Chicago Hobby Show (iHobby now, RCHTA back then) and New York Hobby Show both still existed and laid out future releases. SA(E) used to offer coverage of the show news. Back before all the things that befell Tom Carter and imploded Hobby Heaven (Spotlight Hobbies now-a-days), he offered a pretty substantial print catalog which had ballpark release dates of new kits in it as well.

As far as Revell release dates, I find about the only reliable resource to be Revell's website (New Products tab) which shows the announcements for the current month (which usually means they will be out the last week of the current month at their preferred partner dealers and early in the next month elsewhere).

http://www.revell.com/new.html

Edited by Rob Hall

I see the Olds with the fastback roof from the '51 Chevy with rear fenders from a contemporary Cadillac. Nix the emblems and door handles, keep the stock trim and lower it just a tick. Add wheels and tires to taste.

Just seem to talk forever to see the new kits hit the shelf anymore. I must be getting old ! LOL

I can understand the many things that hold up a kit ,money ,run time in the machine , art work , packaging , the forever changes to the molds , shipping time form across the pond and the manufacture approval of the subject.

I'd rather see a release date come and go, if the kit is well done, than to see it releaased on time and be sub par.

I think Lee is right on with his statement. Moebius did the right thing with the Hudson and It appears to be a hit!! I have not started either one of mine yet but it sure looks like a great kit "dry built"!

I would rather wait for a better kit!!!

Edited by camaroman

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rob, I missed that! Man, thaose kits look beautiful! Probably a good run for the money against Mobius's Hudson and Chrysler. I wish tho that the pics could be enlarged.

Just seem to talk forever to see the new kits hit the shelf anymore. I must be getting old ! LOL

I can understand the many things that hold up a kit ,money ,run time in the machine , art work , packaging , the forever changes to the molds , shipping time form across the pond and the manufacture approval of the subject.

New kits? It takes me forever to get a kit out of my stash, build it, and put it on the shelf. So I'm not in ANY hurry for any new kits to hit the shelves as they'll only get thrown on the "pile."