Revell '50 Oldsmobile Club Coupe 2'n1

411 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Got mine...

Posted · Report post

I think the deal with the whitewalls is that there's some stretching and prodding required to get the tire over the wheel - nothing traumatic, but maybe a bit more than a tampo print would tolerate.

Could be. If so, if you use the whitewalls according to the directions I mentioned, you would want to do all of it after mounting the tires to the wheels, as that same flexing would probably crack the Future, decals, and clear coat.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yessir. Depending on their opacity and surface conformity, the decals might be a more desirable approach than masking and laying on white paint, even with the steps you described.

**edit** - Hey Harold, sorry about that - I just realized I was essentially repeating what you said...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Posted · Report post

You know years ago I did a test using every flat white paint I could get my hands on and spraying whitewalls onto tires. Then I squizzed and twisted them to see if they would crack. The only paint that stood up that test was Tamiya XF2 flat white. Works for me everytime! :)

Posted · Report post

That's the one I use, Harold. It does the job very well.

Just for kicks I tried out one of the w/w decals. It snugged down okay with liberal use of MicroSet, but it's a hair too large. If you plan to use them, they'll need to be carefully trimmed down slightly with a #11 and a circle template.

Posted · Report post

I've noticed a couple of people painting the bellhousing on the Olds engine a silver/grey bare metal finish. The bellhousing was integral with the block casting, so it should be engine colour. This is a slightly later 324, but the same basic casting.

IMG00395.jpg

Posted · Report post

Good info, thank you.

Posted · Report post

Yup! I'll use it.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Stu, good to know. None of my reference pics show that.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for that, Stu. I'll correct my painting tonight.

So far- the assembly ease of this kit is AMAZING. This thing is almost falling together! I've never built a Tamiya kit- have a couple to get to, but I can see what all the Tamiya builders rave about. This is one of the easiest-to-assemble kits I've ever built.

Charlie Larkin

Posted · Report post

Love this kit.

Posted · Report post

Yep. Me, too. 5 stars, Revell! My *only* wish so far is that the armrests and window cranks/door handles were separate...but that's pretty dang minor.

Posted · Report post

i gotta thing with how easy this is to lower, theres a dropped custom version ala 49 merc waiting in the wings.

Posted · Report post

I got my Olds last night. My wife picked it up at Hobby Lobby for me. I was kinda shocked that they had it already. They're usually a lot later on getting new kits. So far, the only complaint I have is trying to decide how to build it! There are literally so many different ways to build this kit! I'm definitely going to need a few more!

Posted · Report post

Just got mine tonight at my local Hobby Lobby with my 40% coupon.......$16.50 including tax. :) Nice kit, think I'll do a mild custom. Just have to think of a neat color.

Posted · Report post

Is anyone else upset over the fact that Revell says Tampo printed tires on the box but does not actually have them in the kit? It may be a small thing but I know people who bought the Gremlin kit from AMT just to get the slicks that were included. This seems to be false advertising and I've yet to see any explanation/apology for this oversight. In the kit, decals are provided for the whitewalls. but I thought Tampo printing put the lettering/whitewall directly on the tire. I have seen several theories advanced as to why they are not Tampo printed, but I still feel it was wrong to put the kit out with the claim of Tampo printed tires on the box.

Posted · Report post

Doesn't bother me a bit I painted mine.

Posted · Report post

Doesn't bother me, either...I painted mine as well. It's likely that even if they had been tampo'd, I'd have stripped them and repainted. :D

As far as the false advertising thing goes, mistakes happen. They probably intended to do them that way then found it problematic from a production standpoint, and the change was missed in the art department. I'm sure it'll be corrected on the next run.

Posted · Report post

Revell screws up every so often with the box art (remember the pic of the stock grille on the '48 Ford coupe kit that looks nothing like the stock '48 grille and is nowhere to be found in the kit?). But honestly I didn't even notice the mention of printed whitewalls until you pointed it out.

Posted · Report post

Revell screws up every so often with the box art (remember the pic of the stock grille on the '48 Ford coupe kit that looks nothing like the stock '48 grille and is nowhere to be found in the kit?). But honestly I didn't even notice the mention of printed whitewalls until you pointed it out.

Let's not forget the"68 Corvette that had a 429 either! That was a classic! I honestly hadn't noticed where the box stated tampo printed tires,but then I don't pay a lot of attention to box art. I wouldn't use the tires anyway as they look too big and wide for a 1950 Olds.

Posted · Report post

Can someone please tell us a bit about the carb and aircleaner that comes with this kit?

Posted · Report post

Let's not forget the"68 Corvette that had a 429 either! That was a classic! I honestly hadn't noticed where the box stated tampo printed tires,but then I don't pay a lot of attention to box art. I wouldn't use the tires anyway as they look too big and wide for a 1950 Olds.

At least it isn't as bad as the twilight years of RC2- who remembers the '70 Dodge Daytona kit with the '68 Roadrunner chassis, K-H 'recall' wheels, and what appeared to be a few scratchbuilt underhood details... none of which came with the kit? Or the most recent reissue of the '60 Apache fleetside, which showed the old SMP longbed version with side trim, not the short bed, sans side trim version the kit builds into. That certainly isn't misleading or anything.

Posted · Report post

Not too concerned about the tires not being Tampo printed, they never seem to be centered correctly. It's better to paint the whitewalls yourself.

Posted · Report post

Can someone please tell us a bit about the carb and aircleaner that comes with this kit?

The carb is a Rochester AA 2 barrel that was used for 49 and 50. Most places call it a backdraft carb but it seems to work like a regular downdraft 2 barrel except for the air entering from the back. The air cleaner is an old style oil bath filter. Here is thread from the H.A.M.B. that has a ton of Olds Rocket stuff, http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149650

Posted · Report post

Is anyone else upset over the fact that Revell says Tampo printed tires on the box but does not actually have them in the kit? It may be a small thing but I know people who bought the Gremlin kit from AMT just to get the slicks that were included. This seems to be false advertising and I've yet to see any explanation/apology for this oversight. In the kit, decals are provided for the whitewalls. but I thought Tampo printing put the lettering/whitewall directly on the tire. I have seen several theories advanced as to why they are not Tampo printed, but I still feel it was wrong to put the kit out with the claim of Tampo printed tires on the box.

I suspect the Tampo print didn't work out the way they were designed, so as a quality move they "upgraded" at expense. False advertising, I think they have the right to change parts as they want to...Call Angie on the 800 # she might give you some insite. Me I want about 6 of these!