Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '50 Oldsmobile Club Coupe 2'n1

It doesn't matter to me when they release this kit as long as they do in fact release it. I rarely buy new kits as soon as they hit the shelves anyway. There are several new releases that I still haven't bought yet. Some of them I have no intentions of ever buying. I just recently bought the Gremlin kit and it's been out how long now? Before forums/websites devoted to the hobby, most of us didn't know about a new kit until it hit the shelves anyway. At least the kit companies are letting us know about new kits that are coming out.

I'm one of those that just has to have that "new" kit as soon as it hits the LHS shelf, only to put it back for later,(most of them from the past decade have yet to be started) only to find it less than a month later at Kmart or on Ebay for a couple of dollars less. Think I'll ever learn? Nah, not me,, to old & stubborn, besides, the first time I wait, it will go out of stock, not be released again for at least a decade & all other sources will want at least one arm, one reproductive organ, (left) & an option on the next grandchild.

Edited by horsepower

• 1 month later...

Heee Haaa I was just on the Modelroundup site and pre-ordered the new Revell 50 Olds I ordered 4 of them the out date is frist part of October he is takking pre orders now.This is the frist all new tool in a long time and the frist 50,s Olds in a long time I cat wate tell one of the top Resin people gets ahold of it and does a nice chop top hint hint someone any one.

I cat wate tell one of the top Resin people gets ahold of it and does a nice chop top

SLOW DOWN!! You are excited!!! I am too as this is the first 'famous' NASCAR racer. And a great choice for stock, custom, drag and oval racer....it will be big...and it's just the start!

This was a kit idea I recommended to AMT way back in 1975 when I was doing contract work for them. I never, ever thought I would see this one in the shelves. It was also on my list of recommendations for Revell that was submitted five years ago now. So like the rest of us, I am overjoyed with this new kit....TB

This was a kit idea I recommended to AMT way back in 1975 when I was doing contract work for them. I never, ever thought I would see this one in the shelves. It was also on my list of recommendations for Revell that was submitted five years ago now. So like the rest of us, I am overjoyed with this new kit....TB

I know! I suggested that very subject at more than one Johnny Lightning Product Committee meeting, got shot down every time, both in 1/64 and 1/24 scales. Also put it on a hot list I was asked to write up for another plastic model company--got shot down there too.

Art

I know! I suggested that very subject at more than one Johnny Lightning Product Committee meeting, got shot down every time, both in 1/64 and 1/24 scales. Also put it on a hot list I was asked to write up for another plastic model company--got shot down there too.

Art

JL did one in 1/64 a few years ago.

I was at the 2012 IPMS convention this week and had the pleasure of talking with Ed Sexton from Revell. Real nice guy. I asked when all the new kits would be out. He said the Olds would be out Oct, the 62 Vette &57 Fairlane would both be out by Nov and Dec. If I remember correctly quite possibly the Gearz street rod and one of the new Foose cars. I asked if Revell would ever do a new tooling of the 63 Splitwindow Corvette, he said he gets asked that alot but new tooling is expensive. I keep my fingers crossed maybe they may listen to us. I also asked if Revell kits will ever be sold at Walmart again, he said they were working on in. They are trying to be available to a larger market of people, particularly younger people to try and bring them into the hobby.

When I lived in San Diego in the 70s I built a '49 Olds coupe with a bored 394 Olds engine and a '54 Olds Hydro that I put a B&M shift kit in to. It had a Pontiac rear (the Ford 9 inch on the 60s and 70s) with 54 inch long ladder bars (all built by me in a rented one car garage). It was the most fun 1:1 car I ever built! I will replicate that car from my past in plastic. I did it with one of the old Ertl diecast '50 Olds coupes many years ago. I will likley get 4-5 of these to build some variants.

Many years ago at the IPMS Nationals, Accurate Miniatures was asking for suggestions for new models. They had just started doing cars (the Corvett Grand Sport and McLaren). I put down the '49/50 Olds coupe,'53 Hudson, and '55 Chrysler 300. When asked why those subjects, I indicated they were all pioneers in NASCAR and would be great sellers for that reason alone.The owner said they would never see the light of day. I guess he was wrong?