Model Cars Magazine Forum

World's oldest running car...

"Motor car" is a generic term that was used in the early 20th century to refer to any automobile, regardless of power source (steam, electric or internal combustion).

Gas engine...steam engine...electric motor. At least as far as I know.

Guest fivespot300

my brother fond a thing in a barnat a estate sale.. and called his frind .. he paid 500. for it truned out to be a motorized horse less carage barss plate said ford 0003 push a button ...roll it out of the barn ..he sold it for 75k

"Motor car" is a generic term that was used in the early 20th century to refer to any automobile, regardless of power source (steam, electric or internal combustion).

I know that Harry, but this Isnt the early 20th century. Just thought it was interesting. You don't see that term used much anymore, what ever the age of it is.

But don't forget, some of the first "motor cars" were electric..... Maybe it just stuck with them.

I only bring it up because I deal with people on a regular basis who go nuts when you say "what motor you runnin" ....they scream " it's an engine, not a motor" .... Must be rubbing off on me.

I only bring it up because I deal with people on a regular basis who go nuts when you say "what motor you runnin" ....they scream " it's an engine, not a motor"

I guess it can go either way. After all, we put "motor oil" into our gas engines. And what about gas-engine powered motorboats?

But I always thought there was a technical difference between and "engine" and a "motor," although I don't know exactly what that technical difference is! I think it might be that an "engine" needs a separate fuel source (gas, diesel, water for steam, etc.) while a "motor" doesn't need to be fueled, because the "fuel" is electricity.

Also, an "engine" converts thermal energy to mechanical energy, a "motor" does not.

Me too! And if I did, you can bet I would NOT spend it on a 120 year old car!!! :lol:

C'mon Harry, spend a few minutes with that image in P'shop, you'll see the potential. Stretch the frame, lower it about 3-4 inches, replace the steam power with a Hilborn injected Rat motor, candy paint,.....you get the idea. :D

Anything that takes energy and converts it to motion is a motor. and engine is a motor, but a motor is not necessarily an engine.

Edited by Darin Bastedo

But don't forget, some of the first "motor cars" were electric..... Maybe it just stuck with them.

I only bring it up because I deal with people on a regular basis who go nuts when you say "what motor you runnin" ....they scream " it's an engine, not a motor" .... Must be rubbing off on me.

I'll start saying 'engine' when Jeff Gordon stops saying 'we blew the motor...'

No way you'd get me going that fast, it might scramble what brain cell I have left... :huh::blink:

I once hit 14mph with my bicycle. Now I know how Burt Munro must have felt.

Edited by Junkman

Not to keep getting off the topic, but I did some searching this morning and seen this. Thought I would share it.

In terms of etymology, originally motor was just another word for mover, especial "the prime mover", i.e., the thing that moves the rest of the device. Meanwhile, originally, an engine was any device or system (mechanical, chemical, electrical, or even human, social, or political) that effects a result: a catapult is an engine, a crane is an engine, a bomb is an engine, a political party is an engine, a water-powered mill is an engine, a criminal gang is an engine, and a man with a singleness of purpose is an engine. Gradually through the 19th century "engine" became especially (but not exclusively) associated with fire, boilers, furnaces, and bombs -- in short any device that tended to get very hot and explode, but the whole system was still considered "the engine", not just the prime mover (the motor). In the 20th Century, Americans took to calling a car motor "the engine", even though the suspension system, steering system, braking system, gearing, and whole drive train are really collectvely "the engine".

Also, re. t3h_Jakal, the word Engine is NOT taken "from the word Heat Engine [sic]". It comes from the Latin word INGENIUM (from which we also get "ingenious") and prior to the 1800s just meant any contrivance that acheives an intended result. It can be and is still used this way by those with a literary bent with a gift for words. And "Motor" did not originate with "Electric Motor": there were motors long before that: motors powered by wound springs. The fact that Faraday felt obliged to put the qualifying adjective "Electrical" in front of "Motor" implies he did so to distinguish it from the common motors of his day. The same is true for Watt's placement of the term "Steam" in front of "Engine" to qualify what kind of engine it was, and to thus distinguish it from the typical engines of his day.

Kind of interesting. I've never really looked into it.

And engine is a mechanical device that uses a fuel source to create an output. A motor converts electricity or other forms of kinetic energy into a mechanical motion. It really only matters on the person you're talking to. Either way it gets the point across really.

Junkman, if I ever come across 4.5m, i may take you up on that offer. Hehe.

Not really sure, but this car might be the same car I saw a couple of years ago in a local private collection. My boss recently told me that the people that owned the collection were selling off most of it. You had to be invited to see the collection. They had a really awesome collection of cars, wooden power boats, player pianos, and nickelodeons ( a precursor to juke boxes).