Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Wheels-inspired '77 Chevy Van

This one will be loosely based on the 2004-design Cool One (there was another Cool One done by Hot Wheels in the mid '70's, but it was a rear-engine dragster). The newer Cool One is this really funky ice cream truck thing, with gigantic rear tires and two supercharged engines with the blower hats sticking up through the roof.

I'm starting out with the 1:24 Revell van. I noticed the plastic is thick in most places, and is very hard and brittle- not the most fun to work with if a lot of cutting and pasting is in the cards.

1-vi.jpg

I couldn't find any gigantic rear tires, so I decided to try some Revell Donk wheels at all four corners for this. Here I have also cut out the driver's side door opening, and radiused the wheel openings.

3-vi.jpg

I debated for a bit whether or not to incorporate the raised roof, and finally decided to go for it. I cut off the 'cab' area, sectioned it, and glued it back in a lower position. Still needs some putty work at this point, but the basic shape is locked in. I might reshape the rear doors- the Cool One's rear panel is raked forward at a much steeper angle than the Chevy's, and I think it could use a little less rear overhang anyway, so I might go for it. Here it is with the Cool One for comparison.

4-vi.jpg

Edited by Chuck Most

Wondering,wat your,gonna use for the,two giant motors sticking out each side

Not sure. I might do something logical and go with a couple of 1:24 big block Chevy engines, and build it as something that COULD be done in 1:1, though it would be hugely impractical. Or I might stuff a couple of Zinger kit engines back there.

Hey, Chuck, was the sanding and smoothing any tougher than with any other vehicles? I found those roof ribs to be a lot of work.

Sanding? No. Cutting on the other hand was iffy- the plastic Revell used in this one is pretty hard and brittle, and quite thick in some areas. I'm hoping this isn't the same plastic Revell will be using for all future releases.