Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galaxie Limited's '48 Chevy Coupe

Real what? Real just because it wasn't made in the USA doesn't mean its trash real. plenty of trash to go around. just like all "competition" isn't in a straight line or a roundy round circle (referencing another thread there, just to clarify the reference).

hope that helps

jb

To me, the difference between AMT in the '60s and Model kits today, is that AMT had 1/10 clay models to actually see the curves. The 1/10 model of a 1946-8 Chevy is long gone. 2 Dimensional drawings don't convey shap well.

Do a laser 3D CAD in the USA?

First off is it the Koreans or Chinese? Second I don't think it has anything to do with the people producing the kits I think it has more to do with the technology they possesse or lack there of

This particular kit was tooled in South Korea in the 1990's.

I think Jairus' comment was meant more like "the Koreans (who tooled this kit) didn't possess..." I didn't read as all Koreans.

Interesting topic here.

As someone who worked for 11 years in an executive position in the Design Department of one of the OEM's, I can assure you that creating 3D replicas from 2D pictures and line drawings is very, very difficult to accomplish with an exact degree of accuracy.

Starting from data scans of the real car is much better, but even that requires a good deal of experience to translate into 3D sculptures. Combine the very real difficulty of being asked to create 3D scale sculpture without having the benefit of seeing the real thing in person, along with differences in language and time zones (the East Coast of China is 12-13 hours ahead of US time zones, depending on the time of year), and you can only begin to understand the challenges of these Craftsmen - and let me assure you, they ARE Craftsman - in the assignment that they have been given.

Like Chuck's view on this topic, I think 3D data scans of the real car are a key "next step" in improving body accuracy of scale kits where the original OEM design data no longer exists. For various reasons, which I will admit I partly but do not fully understand, several of the kit manufacturers don't see it this way right now.

TIM

• 2 months later...

John at Model Cave in Ypsi, Michigan, told me about a month ago that his kit distributor said to expect both of the kits (the Coupe and the Sedan reissue with the optional woodgrain treatment) in September.....TB

Edited by tim boyd

Interesting topic here.

As someone who worked for 11 years in an executive position in the Design Department of one of the OEM's, I can assure you that creating 3D replicas from 2D pictures and line drawings is very, very difficult to accomplish with an exact degree of accuracy.

Starting from data scans of the real car is much better, but even that requires a good deal of experience to translate into 3D sculptures. Combine the very real difficulty of being asked to create 3D scale sculpture without having the benefit of seeing the real thing in person, along with differences in language and time zones (the East Coast of China is 12-13 hours ahead of US time zones, depending on the time of year), and you can only begin to understand the challenges of these Craftsmen - and let me assure you, they ARE Craftsman - in the assignment that they have been given.

Like Chuck's view on this topic, I think 3D data scans of the real car are a key "next step" in improving body accuracy of scale kits where the original OEM design data no longer exists. For various reasons, which I will admit I partly but do not fully understand, several of the kit manufacturers don't see it this way right now.

TIM

Tim, I hear what you are saying, yet I do happen to believe that virtually every model kit manufacturer now uses 3D scans in the kit development process (I've seen and studied several myself over the past couple of years). However, where it can break down is in the translation of those 3D scans toa 3-dimensional tooling mockup--and I've helped review and critique several of those in the past 3 years or so.

Art

Tim, I hear what you are saying, yet I do happen to believe that virtually every model kit manufacturer now uses 3D scans in the kit development process (I've seen and studied several myself over the past couple of years). However, where it can break down is in the translation of those 3D scans toa 3-dimensional tooling mockup--and I've helped review and critique several of those in the past 3 years or so.

Art

Art... I've been told exactly the opposite by several model companies. E>G> they do not use 3D point cloud scans in developing model cars of older subjects where factory data does not exist. They reported several reasons for their decision. Hmmm....

I've also reviewed and critiqued tooling vendor CAD data (based on line drawings/measurements/photos, not 3D scans) and photography of a couple of upcoming model projects, and the areas that need to be corrected would not have occurred had they been using 3D point cloud data scans....Double Hmmm

The only example where I've been told they were used (and this was not from the manufacturer but from a trusted outside source) was the Round 2 1/25th scale Batman kit....that doesn't mean there weren't others too, but that's the only one I am directly aware of....TB

Edited by tim boyd

• 2 weeks later...