Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who makes the best # 11 Exacto blades?

Ummmm... Exacto.

Actually the Model Master blades are much better than the Exacto brand. Hospitals and such use these blades also and you can get them in bigger quantities for less money. I'm just trying to find the places that sell them like that.

X-acto makes the best X-acto blades.......Best #11 type blades??? Testors/Model Master are very good. I got some other brand from Japan that were so sharp they cut too easy and I ended up in the ER and had to clean up a LOT of blood and still have a big scar.......go with the MM.

I bought a 100 blade box of Excel blades for less than 20 bucks. At that price I don't mind just throwing a blade out when it's not sharp anymore and popping in a fresh one.

No, don't throw them out, Harry, they are so many other uses. Well, I mean, you are free to throw them out, but next time you need to mix putty or something else you need to spread or mix, you can use them. ;)

No, don't throw them out, Harry, they are so many other uses. Well, I mean, you are free to throw them out, but next time you need to mix putty or something else you need to spread or mix, you can use them. ;)

I mix putty and epoxy with pieces of sprue, apply it with a small flexible polyethylene applicator. To clean off the applicator you just peel the hardened putty or epoxy right off; they don't stick to the poly plastic. So I really don't have much use for dull blades.

Just a hint- only Exacto makes Exacto blades. Now, change 'Exacto' blades to 'hobby' blades, or just #11 blades, and you'll get a few less sideways glances. B)

I will say to steer clear of any blades sold in a cheap set, like the kind you see at discount and auto parts stores. They blades usually aren't very sharp, and break pretty easily- even with proper eye protection, I'm not to comfortable around blades which shatter like glass under any real strain.

The ones from Micro mark are RE USED,RECYCLED blades! They do not hold an edge NOWHERE near the length of time the MM blades do. They're cheaper to buy, but you DO go thru them faster.

Can you provide some proof to that assertion George? I cannot find anything to substantiate it, and it seems rather farfetched especially to be sold by Micro-Mark.

I second that, one almost took my left eye out :unsure:

X3... almost lost a perfectly good fingertip to the Revell blades.

Photo08111417.jpg

I usually go for the Micro-Mark blades as well (Item # 14178). Maybe they're not the absolute best in the world, but they work pretty darn good IMHO... and for the price, I don't even think twice about replacing them when they start to get dull. (Although, I do have a pile of about 30-40 that I save for 'other things', like the Doc was saying)...

I used to get the x-acto ones at Wally World, but they seem to be pretty hit or miss. Sometimes I'd throw one in my handle, try to make a cut and throw it right in the trash.

Also, I just tried the new x-acto "Z-series", zirconium nitride coated blades and my conclusion is: don't waste your money. They were a whole dollar extra for the 5 pack and I honestly didn't notice much of a difference (if any at all).

I like using the OLFA brand, check them out at Michael's, a bit more expensive than X-Acto but definitely much better, sharper and durable. ;)

I second OLFA, I used this brand while I was at acoustic edge and they will lay you open in a heartbeat just looking at them.