Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Sprint car

krazyglu

I started this build at the beginning of February with the intentions of entering it in my first model contest last Saturday. I tried some new techniques out and made a good deal of modifications to get it to have a more modern look. I can definitely improve my next one in many ways, but I am very pleased and it would have to be my best model to date. I used testors one touch lacquer Diamond Dust for the outside and model master gloss black on the inside of the panels. The frame is model master fluorescent red...yeah It's definitely orange. I stripped all of the chrome and used the Alclad Chrome. I then used Tamiya acrylics over the Alclad to achieve the anodized look. The engine received some altered parts box items and braid/fittings, msd box from Charlie at Pro Tech. One of the biggest flaws with the Revell kit is the horrific bar stool of a seat. I had to address this issue and my great friend Bill Booz(JustBill) saved the day. Never even met Bill and he mailed me a seat from a '07 Monte Carlo Nascar kit all the way from Maryland. Bill is the reason I got hooked on sprint cars and thanks to him the seat with minor modification worked out awesome. Thanks to all of you on here for sharing pictures and techniques/ideas daily. That motivates me and teaches me all kinds of cool stuff. Keep Buildin'!

020-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

023-1.jpg

015.jpg

013-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Those pics look great Steve. My favorite would have to be the fourth one down fromt the top. It looks like it just went by and is getting ready to haul a$$! Great work my friend! Oh, and that is some GREEN grass you have there. Are you a landscaper?

Thanks Tommy It means a lot to have you comment on my work. I was told that these cars were constantly cleaned and wiped down at the track so I hardly weathered this much at all. Bill I happen to have some of the greenest grass in the neighborhood buddy, thanks for noticing :lol: I'm glad you appreciate the seat Mike as it was such a key piece In the build. I said I wish some things were different and making the top wing removable is one of those. I spent a ton of time detailing this kit and almost all of it was covered by the wing. I was bummed ,but you learn and make the next one better.

Here is a picture of the seat with Pro Tech harness and some decals added

001qtn.jpg

That's funny Jason I have never seen a sprint car in person, but my dad watched them many years ago. The only part he remembers is getting mud flung all over him :lol: I appreciate all the kind words guys.

Here are a few more detail photos from the building stages, I also had this over in the work bench area.

005fnr.jpg

006orf.jpg

007hha.jpg003eit.jpg

006bew.jpg

Thanks Tommy It means a lot to have you comment on my work. I was told that these cars were constantly cleaned and wiped down at the track so I hardly weathered this much at all. Bill I happen to have some of the greenest grass in the neighborhood buddy, thanks for noticing :lol: I'm glad you appreciate the seat Mike as it was such a key piece In the build. I said I wish some things were different and making the top wing removable is one of those. I spent a ton of time detailing this kit and almost all of it was covered by the wing. I was bummed ,but you learn and make the next one better.

Here is a picture of the seat with Pro Tech harness and some decals added

001qtn.jpg

I'm liken your Sprint'r, well done through out. It is nice to see the belts laid out the way they would be in a 1:1 car. Not all buckled up and tidy, that's an over looked detail in most cases.

J2