Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cool tip for anyone who wants to get a polishing kit.

LDO

I think it's annoying that a lot of polishing kits skip over 3600 grit. Some even skip over 1800. The last time I got one, it didn't have a foam sanding block. GRRRR! Anyway- some internet searching turned up a Micro-Mesh Woodworker's Kit. It has 2 of all grits, even going down to 1500, plus a sanding block. One place offered it for $57.76+ shipping. Not a bad deal, but still spendy. More searching turned up a kit with one each of everything for $21.99. I just ordered 2 of them. I don't know if I can mention a vendor's name on here, but a brief search for "Micro-Mesh Woodworker's Polishing Kit" will find it for you...although, I did buy the last 2 in stock at that place :) Still, a good deal for your money.

• 2 weeks later...

Frankly, if you work on your spray painting techniques a bit, you should get a finish right from the can, or preferably the airbrush, that will allow you to skip all the way to 4800-grit or even finer. That's been my experience over the past 35yrs of using Micro-Mesh polishing kits.

Art

Frankly, if you work on your spray painting techniques a bit, you should get a finish right from the can, or preferably the airbrush, that will allow you to skip all the way to 4800-grit or even finer. That's been my experience over the past 35yrs of using Micro-Mesh polishing kits.

Art

That is true to, I can with the can :lol: , just need to be able to do that with the A/B

You can get away with only a few grits for paint but you really need all of them for restoring scratched or damaged windows. Some darker colors also have better results with all grits depending on the type of paint. I wouldn't be without any of them. Individual sheets can be ordered at your hobby shop or bought from Detail Master directly.