Model Cars Magazine Forum

That just ain't right.

So l put on "Easy Rider" to go to sleep to. After the 'deal' when the camera is scrolling up Fonda's scoot, l notice "Avon" is backwards. l check out his jacket & sure enough the flag is too! I've never noticed it before. Has anyone else noticed weird things in movies that just ain't right?

Edited by Bartster

How about in scenes were a car is banged up then five mins later the car is new. Or in action movies were guns seem to have unlimited ammo.lol that Hollywood for yah.my favorite is wene some one in a show dies but a little few episodes later you see that person as some one else.aka supernatural my personal fav tv show,just for the car. :)

I also remember in "Goodfellas" at Idlewild airport. The Lufthansa heist in '63 they're leaning on the trunk of a '65 Impala. I can't help it, watching period pieces especially, l try to catch them slipping up.

I caught that too.

At the opening of Austin Powers, there's a Mini parked on the side of the street, but its a Rover version with the roll up windows wich weren't made till the mid/late 70's.

You often see a car take a hard turn and a hubcap goes flying off and in the nexr scene the hubcap is back. I also remember an old "Starsky and Hutch" episode where the villian pulls in and paints his car to throw off the police and it goes in as one year and comes out as another.

I also remember in "Goodfellas" at Idlewild airport. The Lufthansa heist in '63 they're leaning on the trunk of a '65 Impala. I can't help it, watching period pieces especially, l try to catch them slipping up.

I liked the '68 Grand Prix in 'Goodfellas'...

I notice goofs like that in movies all the time... I remember in 'Arlington Road' Jeff Bridges' character's Ford Contour switched from a '95-97 to a '98-00 in a chase scene..

There are a lot of mistakes in the world of Hollywood, but one that always bugged me every time I see it, is in the "newer" Gone in 60 Seconds. During the chase scene near the end where he is being followed by the chopper, you see him pushing the Mustang pretty much as fast as it can go, (and it clearly shows a shot of the tach at around 8 grand) then he hits the nitrous button and the thing takes off like a bat outta hell, while the guy in the chopper is saying "120, 150, 160... he's gone."

By the time he disappears from view, you would think the engine would have to be turning like 12,000 rpm or more for that to be possible... :huh:

Even a movie like Death Proof, supposedly dedicated to the movies of the late 60s & 70s, like Bullitt, Gone In 60sec ( original ), Dirty Mary Crazy Larry etc, as stated by Tarrantino, no special effects were used because he wanted it to be a pure drivers/car guys movie, there are major flaws  There's NO way the cars in the movie could take the punishment they received in it & still be drivable. Most of the damage after 1 accident then get's beaten on the next car ( same car, different scene ) & you can absolutely tell it's a different car. I just hate seeing Mopars get wrecked for the sake of a movie  or any muscle car. Let 'em wreck all the new cars they want... They're pretty much all plastic anyway.

But you know, we as car guys, know the real deal & I guess you just gotta take "Hollywood" with a BIG pinch of salt... 

I hated that movie...they should have used modern disposable appliances like Camrys and Accords.

My favorite: the chase of the white Countach on an episode of Miami Vice. Clearly visible is two diff cars were used; a 5000 S with standard taillights, and a 5000 Quattrovalvole with the narrow taillights.

MiamiViceLambo01-vi.jpg

Don't get me started about car chases and so-called police cars.

First of all, I just can't count the number of times the police car changes year/brand/configuration during a chase in innumerable movies and TV shows. Chase starts when bad guy drives past '88 Caprice squad car, chase scenes show same cops in '88 Caprice then '90 LTD then '88 Caprice then '85 Diplomat then '88 Caprice and ends when the same cops in the '92 Crown Vic get the bad guy stopped. Same stuff, different movies/TV shows ALL THE DANG TIME! Have they NO continuity people???? Or, is it just that continuity people have no clue that different cars are different? Or, are they saying all cop cars look alike?

AND ANOTHER THING! I extremely dislike how they always portray the cops sliding around and crashing around every time they take off in pursuit or on an emergency call! The 360's everytime they go around a corner while the bad guy (usually depicted as an inexperienced kid or druggy) motors through with a perfect line and little difficulty. It's disgusting! (It's even worse than the burnouts on sand and squealing tires on dirt roads.) Makes it look like all cops can't drive, when in fact most cops are extremely proficient and highly-trained drivers.

However, I find ongoing amusement in the fact that most TV/movie cops use their emergency lights and sirens more than their turn signals. Seems like they run Code to everything they do. Especially funny how much noise they make when several squad cars and detectives (and Feds, who usually don't even own sirens or emergency lights) converge on the suspect's location where he's holding hostages, or when they race in to make the big arrest or execute a search warrant. Then, after they bag the bad guy, they don't search him but throw him in the back seat (window down) and drive away with lights blazing and siren blaring. HINT: Don't happen in the real world.

Oh, well, I guess it's all proof that movies and TV shows are USUALLY just cheap, mindless, escapist entertainment.

B)

I watched More American Graffitti last night. They dubbed in tire squealing on a couple shots of fuelers ( uh, no way could you hear tire noises over the engine ), Also they depict John having a tough time beating Beckwith, Milners car of course has a blown smallblock, while Beckwiths appears to have a smallblock also, but with dual carbs on a crossram. I know its nitpicking.........the one only rivet counters might notice is the white hotrod 23-25 Tee Phaeton track vechicle. In 65 ish it was PINK, the first rod i ever saw painted pink . At least they kept the name "Fremont Raceways", although again, it didnt become "raceways" for 10 or 15 years after the time depicted in the movie.

Perhaps I have too much time on my hands :wacko:

Edited by Draggon

....in fact most cops are extremely proficient and highly-trained drivers.

I absolutely agree here.

I used to work with a guy at a fabrication shop that was located inside of a small (non-commercial) airport complex about 20 miles from where I live.

On the other side of the runway (across from the shop) was a rather large patch of open asphalt where we used to have the pleasure of watching the Wall Twp. Police train for all kinds of driving and chase situations. There were a bunch of Crown Vics and Caprices with cones and other obstacles set up.

They would practice all kinds of things, chase eachother around through the cones, practice turning around fast (tires squealing and a little smoke), etc... It was REALLY COOL!! All I kept thinking was: "Man, I wanna do that!"

I definitely agree with ya, though... They practiced hard and quite frequently, and IMHO, they did an awesome job of handling those cars.

(Sorry to be kinda off topic, BTW... Just popped into my head and wanted to share. :) )

TJ Hooker. probably the worst offender for mis-ID'd cruisers.... but, then again, we were supposed to be enthralled by the acting, right?

personally, i like Rockford Files. you get to see some truly interesting cars on there; even besides his iconic Formula Firebird.

i like OLD movies because of the era-correct cars used in them...

It's even worse with military equipment in movies. WWII Germans driving post-war American army trucks or M3 Halftracks, WWII Americans driving M38s, East Block armies driving NATO stuff, I've seen it all. Not a big expert on weaponry, but I would think it is applied inconsistently too.

Continuity glitches are everywhere, sometimes just too obvious. Not only do cars change during chases, but also the attire of the occupants, weaponry, one second they are in town centre, the next in the middle of the desert, weather changes from one part of town to the next, etc., etc.

One of my favorite goofs that I see in movies and on TV over and over again: the scene where two people are "driving" down the street and our point of view is through the windshield of the car, where we can see the "traffic" behind them through the rear window of the car... and the "traffic" going on behind them is a total mismatch to where or how they're supposed to be driving. Or even better, when the same "traffic" keeps repeating itself every few seconds because they just kept running the same film loop of "traffic" over and over again.