Model Cars Magazine Forum

Freightliner cabover

There it is as of now. Over all I am ok with this kit, I did 1/48 scale aircraft for years and had a handle on those. In the last 14 months I have done 3 automotive models and what a differance! My first was a '57 corvette gasser, its complete minus wiring and plumbing, a 1932 Chrysler Imperial Roadster, and this kit. The Chrysler was easy! LOL!

Next issue to fix here is exhaust, figure out the ladders and add more pieces. I am going to attempt an air conditioning unit for the roof and some wheel flairs.

The pics shown almost everything is in mock up and held in place minimally. I still have to figure out my weathering and I purchased a trailer for this kit. Going to have to decide if a generic paint on trailer or match the black and gold, Hmmm?

All comments and critics are welcomed and encouraged, Sorry for the photo quality but thats the way it is. Thanks for looking.

If able to.a good substitute for this kits ladder steps are those from the GMC Astro/ Titan 90 kits,they can be modified in such a way that they represent a later model Freightliner C.O.E especially when the top step is boxed in from the back as previuously mentioned. When i start on my Freightliner,i intend to eliminate the ladder steps alltogether and built an earlier model with the "stirrup" type hoop steps. BTW,the paint/striping looks great!..........................Mark

Sectioned the front axle, got it where I want it. Started to putty body seams and cleaning up mold lines. If all goes well tomorrow I can put the chassis on wheels and mock up the body. Looking for an air conditioning unit to put on the roof. Any ideas where to find one or is it easier to just build one? Going to look at some builds to check ride height front wheels to body .

Glad that you chose this option to narrow the axle. I assume you still had room enough to get the springs to set correctly once you narrowed it up. Did you pin the axle halfs?

After I made my cut, I did pin the axle. If I remember right, 3/32 cut off center put me where I needed to be. I did move the spring perches also but not correctly. It was a little off center. This kit was a learning experience for me and I will have better insight on how to proceed with my next build. A fun kit with lots of basic modeling challenges but its going to turn out nice, not as well as I would have liked, certainly entertaining to view. The hardest part other than lining up the body panels, was figuring out instructions. All pieces should and will have to be test fit to ensure all corrosponding parts go together.

Since I have limited knowlege of big rigs, more researsh should have been made. I didn't research much and the kit shows its flaws. Ladders are mounted along with the front bumper. That is another area that needs some trimming to fit well. I had to trim the frame horns and the mounting area on the bumper to make it visually correct and to allow the cab to tilt without interferance. It took some test fitting to get it right. Some new stacks, finish the air conditioner and put on lights and fun chrome parts. some weathering and I call it complete.

While you're at it, watch for the thickness of that license plate support on the front of your cab. It's so thick it will prevent you from tilting that cab properly as well! I removed mine for the time being. You might want to use a thin sheet of styrene (.010-.020) to replace it. It'll look better too! Just my 2 cents. By the way, I really like those stripes! Well done.

• 1 month later...

After a short hiatus, got back to the Freightliner. A few small things to do but here it is. Posting a couple pics. I really enjoyed this model, a real learning experience on this one. Thanks to all who gave me imput and advice as it really helped bunches. IMy next project will be a painted to match the truck.

th_9a932cd6.jpg

th_58ceb893.jpg

th_70b10fd1.jpg

th_868580ef.jpg

th_bf6f525e.jpg

Very nice!

This same kit was the first semi I actually finished, and this thread brings back a lot of memories... mostly memories of what I should have done to make my finished one look better! :lol:

I think if I ever build one of these again I'm going to toss the kit ladders and go with the 'stirrup' type side steps. And yeah- that front plate bracket does interfere with tilting the cab- pulled mine right off the hinges the first time I tried to open the cab.

Not sure when the law changed, '74???.I also think Canadian laws were changed later.I'm saying that because my dad had what I think was a '84 that had a steel disk mounted to the hub so it looked like a brake drum when looked at through the holes in the wheel.This was to fool the scale man,well not a full inspection.This maybe was a california thing because that truck was suposed to have a dedicated run to cali.For some reason the guy who ordered it never bought it ,my dad did

Think your rite it was the mid 70'S when front brakes came out. Remember dad having a few trucks with out brakes when I was little.

• 4 weeks later...

Trailer is finished. as promised here are some pics. Sorry for the pic quality, looked good on camera but dark here. Other than finding something to use for airlines, its done enough. Thanks again for all the input and suggestions. Decided not to weather it much, so many things learned on this build but I will share future builds with yas.

th_IMG_3252_zpsccbe1419.jpg

th_IMG_3248_zps53ff773b.jpg

th_IMG_3250_zps2876f83d.jpg

th_IMG_3251_zps746e309f.jpg

• 4 years later...