Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished! 1963 Chrysler Turbine Car

MrObsessive

Another reason that Chrysler might have destroyed the cars was for product liability issues. In the free wheeling 1960's this may not have been much of a problem-------------but you can betcha it would be a big deal today! :o

Chrysler had all 55 cars built in Italy by Ghia of Turin.. When the program was finished they were directed by the US Gov to either A; Destroy the cars or B; return them to Italy. They chose the former as it would have been too expensive to ship them back. This was because the entered in the US on a special "visa" and it expired when the test program was completed.

Edited by Dr Plastic

Killer Mr Geary..... Now to take mine on this very year.

Question of course. What color did you end up using? I don't have an airbrush and I see a few I am tossing about.

Your input would prove invaluable sir.

Bob

Bob, I used 1966 Dodge Turbine Bronze. That looked very close if not exactly like the color the original Turbine cars used. The paint was mixed by a local auto supplier place here-------they put it in a spray can, and I decanted it for airbrush as I don't like/trust spray cans. I believe MCW has this paint............you could check with them once you get your airbrush.

Scott, that's a beautiful build of your Turbine! And you got your trunk to open! :D

I didn't set mine on the frame just so (a little too forward), and the leading edge of the trunk binds somewhat with the tulip panel. I'd like to build another one sometime------after all there were 50 of them out there on the roads once upon a time!

• 2 years later...

Scott, that's a beautiful build of your Turbine! And you got your trunk to open! :D

I didn't set mine on the frame just so (a little too forward), and the leading edge of the trunk binds somewhat with the tulip panel. I'd like to build another one sometime------after all there were 50 of them out there on the roads once upon a time!

If you're still looking, I've got one that seems to only be missing a wheel cover. And someone glued the engine together. If you're interested, PM me! 

If you're still looking, I've got one that seems to only be missing a wheel cover. And someone glued the engine together. If you're interested, PM me! 

Thanks for the offer Mike! However, I do have two others that I can use sometime to rebuild. Both are complete, just taken apart with very slight glue damage in their original issue boxes. I also have a complete kit in the later Johan box, but the body is somewhat warped.

Heaven knows when I'll get around to building another Turbine Car------that can be a tough kit to get together as you know, and is certainly a patience tester!