Model Cars Magazine Forum

Slanted Chop Top?

Im starting to really get into my 32 ford build and I just did my first z'd frame. Now I want to chop the top for the first time but I don't want to just lower it down, I want to slant it forward to give it some attitude. so how do I achieve that look? Do I still cut the post straight across but just cut more out of the front then the back or do I have to cut everything on an angle?

I'm a visual kinda learner so any photos or tutorials would be great. Thanks for any help

Edited by JasonFL

Im starting to really get into my 32 ford build and I just did my first z'd frame. Now I want to chop the top for the first time but I don't want to just lower it down, I want to slant it forward to give it some attitude. so how do I achieve that look? Do I still cut the post straight across but just cut more out of the front then the back or do I have to cut everything on an angle?

I'm a visual kinda learner so any photos or tutorials would be great. Thanks for any help

If you want an angled chop, you need to change the angle of the A- and B- (and C- if it's a 5-window) pillars, or they will look like they have a kink where you made the cuts. Essentially you are taking a wedge shape out of the pillars, but since the roof and beltline are no longer parallel, simply removing material from each pillar will not work, nor will it look very good if you leave the pillar angles the same as before the chop.

I'd suggest you use a jewelers saw and make a relief cut at the bottom of the A-pillars (where they meet the doors/cowl), then decide how far back the A-pillars should be laid back. The C-pillars are going to be a pain and will require lots of shaping to make them look good, but it can be done.

Thanks for the help. I contacted Brizio on here and we both have been brainstorming on how to go about it. We came up with a similar idea but like you said I think it's going to distort the pillars and make all the openings look funny epically because it is a 5 window. I was even thinking about totally getting rid of the middle pillar to give the car a longer appearance. If I was to make cuts at the bottom of the pillars(front/back) instead of the middle I would be able to alter the way the whole roof sits without having to cut so much out of the back would I? Other ideas had is to chop the roof and make a pie cut out of the body right below the cowl/body line but I wasn't sure how that would work out either.

So Brizio's first photo shows the pie cut idea on the pillars but doing it this way can distort the look of the windows and pillars.

bcbfbf2b.jpg

He then did this example for me to show me how to solve the problem

dc2f0b05.jpg

Still not sure how I'm going to go about it but I think I'll wait on it until I can figure out exactly how I want to attack it.

Any one else have any other ideas I'm all ears.

I've never done a slanted top chop,but here's how I would go about it:

004-15.jpg

This would be a six inch up front and a three inch out back. Note that the cuts on the C pillar are slightly slanted. They run from the center of the quarter window to the center of the rear window. This is something I do on every chop I do. I put the cuts as high as possible on the A pillar. You may still have to make a pie at the bottom and lean it back slightly to get it to line up. On the B pillar, I would cut it out completely at the arrows indicated. Once the top is glued back on, simply place it where it needs to go,mark it,cut accordingly and glue it back in.