Model Cars Magazine Forum

Unboxing the Revell 1/12 Shelby GT 500 Finished 5-17-12

cobraman

This kit is pretty large as you would expect a 1/12 model kit to be. Shown for comparison is a 1/25 scale AC Cobra. The parts are molded very clean. They are molded in white for the body parts and others are either black or gray. Tires are very nice but do not have any manufacture on the side walls. The decal sheet is large and includes all ( most ? ) markings you will need. I do think that Revell should have included a set of black stripes and not just the white ones. But they could always be painted on. I have stripped the chrome off the wheels as I didn't care for them that shiney. I was just going to dull coat them but I am thinking of blacking them out. As a review I have read stated this kit appears to be just a larger scale 1/25 kit. No opening doors or any other special fearures. Plans are to pretty much build it up box stock and just end with a cleanly built model. 112001.jpg112001-1.jpg112002.jpg

Edited by cobraman

Got some work done on the Shelby. Body in primer, wheels dechromed and primed and painted. Engine block built and painted. Some interior parts painted but still need to be toned down so they are not so shiny. Exhaust and brakes painted but not finished.

thurs003.jpgthurs005.jpgthurs004.jpg

I just used "Easy Off" in the yellow can. Chrome was gone in less than 10 minutes. I am doing mine with rattle cans. For me, the larger scale models are better done with rattle cans than an airbrush unless you are doing some "trick" painting. Some will disagree and thats fine. To each his own. Still have not decided on a color yet but leaning towards o choice of 2.

I meant to say that my airbrush will be used for the 1/24 scale models. I agree with you that with bigger models rattle cans work better. I picked up a can of black metallic with the ghost stripes in flat black. Just gotta figure out how to do the stripes. I will look for that easyoff. Thanks for the info.

Has anyone thought about doing a police version an elanor version or the so called new knight rider version with this kit? Something different would be nice. Im not sure how I will build mine.

I had plans of doing a KITT version, but I can't find wheels that are close enough, so I may have to re-think the kit and do something different. I kinda want to get the 1:16 General Lee and do a "The Fast and The Furious" '70 Charger, which I already found the wheels, and I'd have to scratch-build a front grille/bumper to make the '70.

Very cool looking car... I also took a look at the review, looks like you will have a sweet Cobra when finished.

I'm more into the Pro Mod scene at the moment, would be cool buying two of these and turning it into a 1/12 scale Mustang shelby cobra Pro Mod.... Then I would have two boxes of parts I would never use all over again. :)

Good work on the 'stang... I would say this kit is well worth the price; I was pretty happy when I cracked mine open....If you are a guy that usually builds the little $10 stuff; don't be afraid to buy this kit....I think Revell have done a great job with the kit. As a big scale builder; it is a bit simplified; but you have what you need to really go for it; like opening the doors; and trunk etc.... I have a plan for mine already; and I have a bunch of new body parts to make before the build; I hope to get this one in the loop later this fall. Look forward to seeing your progress............Matt

Nice job Ray on the BMF! The BMF on the heat shields looks really nice. Even the engine looks very clean do you plan on doing any sort of weathering?

The reason why I ask, is I have never done much in the area of weathering my cars or parts so this is a technique I need to work on more to perfect.... So I like to learn from others on how this is accomplished. :)

Looking pretty good there Ray. :)

I'm pleased to see these kits actually getting purchased and built. Hopefully Revell can surprise us again if they go well enough.

Got one here in my stash and I'm unsure of a direction as yet......was thinking Knight Rider myself...We shall see. ;)

Should really bite the bullet, get another and follow Barts lead below.....That is AWESOME ! :wub:

Yep... now this is what I am talking about! This is what needs to be done, I think I have found my next project. :)

IMG_0647-vi-1.jpg

Thanks guys. Not planning to do any weathering on this car. Just hope I can build a nice clean model built the way I want it. Not trying to replicate a 1:1 car. Working on the interior more today. The seat decals are a tad trickey because of the tuck and roll type of texture. Setting solution is your friend here. : )

How about making some yellow stripes for the seats? Although it would look good without the stripes. I see you're going with the colors of my real truck... black & yellow. U should name the Mustang Bunble Bee. LOL. Looks very nice so far. :)