Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do you have a Unicorn subject?

Just like from Gone In Sixity second's, when Nick Cage trys to steal Eleanor, something always goes wrong and thats his Eleanor, so lets carry that over to the model world. This got brought while I was talking to Romell at the show this weekend, and I was telling him mine are Ferrari kits.

No matter what I do, something always goes wrong with them, if its not sending the body to the purple pond many times, its fit issues,or just having issues in general. And its already started with my current Ferrari F430 kit I just started, three important parts are warped, and trying to put them back into shape just ruined them , so what is yours ?

Edited by martinfan5

Not so much a model, but mine would have to be "true fire". I think I've been able to pick up a gun or roll of tape, and lay down almost any style of graphic but for those so far. Even Dutch style stripe work. Little practice and I had the hang of it to a point. But I don't know how much paint and PO'ed people I've been through with that stuff. I've finally started using a style with auto air that's getting there I think. But man, what a learning curve.

I'm building it right now!! A '70s styled '70 GSX. I gave up on trying to get the stock hood painted correctly,so I made my own style. Twice! The whole model has also been painted twice! I've never had so much trouble painting white. I could have probably saved the first paint job with another coat of paint, but I hate the "too much paint" look. Thankfully,it's finally in the home stretch.......I think.

Building anything box stock seems to be my "Eleanor". I do compete and I've wanted to do a box stock for a while now, but with every subject there is just something that irks me enough that it needs to be replaced or modified, rendering it not box stock. My latest as the AMT '49 Ford Coupe. The wheels I got in the kit were just not well molded. Before I knew it the parts box was out and she rode on '53 Studebaker wheels with Revell "49 Merc tires. The seats also had to be replaced, for just being un-cool. *Sigh* I'll try again eventually.

Edited by Jantrix

Mine would be the AMT Model T kit that you can get two cars out of, the flash on the parts trees the horrible mold lines and sink marks! I try and sit down and do it but I just get fed up and work on another kit. Having a hard time laying down paint even too, and that those little cans of testors laquer dont seem to last to long! This hobby frustates me as much as it inspires me to be better at it, but at the end of the day I still love it!

To be honest, I have no idea why I still even bother, I would use krylon for the basic colors, but now that I have a air brush, why I dont just by the testor bottle paints instead, I love the results I get when you thin them with lacquer thinner

I never seem to be able to get any clear parts on without getting some form of hazing. no matter what glue, or how sparingly i apply it. >_<

Have u tried testors liquid glue in the jar. The cap has a brush applicator on it. I drop some in the window sill and let it run down then drop the window in the sill. I've had good luck so far.

O yeah the window maker glue, i havent seen that in years. But the jar stuff i found at hobby lobby. If ya have one near you

Yep closer then a real LHS, thats where I buy all my Model Master Lacquer paint from, love those 40% off coupons lol, and its funny, Hobby Lobby carrys the MM lacquers, and two closet LHS dont

Do you have a link for the stuff you use?

Edited by martinfan5

My life in general is an Eleanor moment... :(

Why does that sound so oddly familiar?

In model kit terms, it's currently any AMT 61-69 Lincoln sedan on Ebay. I'm looking for a restorable builder.

Either the seller won't post overseas, or postage is 53$ (btw, a realistic postage fee for one kit from the US to England is around 13$), or it's bid into nirvana by geeks who have more money than braincells.

Now, since I have all of you so nicely assembled here, does anyone out there want to part with one?

An Eleanor model? Well there is is one that I have built three times and each time it get's destroyed. It's a Fujimi 1973 Porsche Carrera RS Speedster. The first one i built was destroyed by a clumsy Cable Guy installing cable in my house and knocked over the shelf it was on. So I built a second one I had it in a display case on a table in my living room. It sat there just fine for six months until the sunlight came in the window at just the right angle to heat one side of the model just on the door, and melt it to the point where it looked like it had been T-boned. So I built a third one. and it got smashed in my move from Asheville NC to Kingsport TN. Here is what remains of the third "Doomed Porsche". I plan to build a forth, but with a few changes.

IMG_3982-vi.jpg

IMG_3979-vi.jpg

IMG_3981-vi.jpg