Model Cars Magazine Forum

1984 Custom Cadillac (California Wheels Edition) By Revell

Dr. Cranky

Still waiting to get mine.  I'm thinking of trying some Caddy sombreros with some form of whitewall - maybe wide white Satcos or thin white stripes.  We'll see.  Just some sort of interesting Caddy.   Not a lowrider.  As stock as I can get without major surgery.   WOuld like to see a current "in the box" post on it.  

I have so many of the Jo-Han 77-79s, I'm not sure whether I really want this kit, unless some resin caster comes up with a proper 4-door body.
However, I could use the underpinnings of the Revell for a Jo-Han if I cut the bonnet open.

Do we know which engine is in the Revell kit? AFAIK the real 90s Broughams only came with either the asthmatic 307Y, or the SBC,
reflecting Cadillac's target clientele being an average of 92 years old at the time.

I have so many of the Jo-Han 77-79s, I'm not sure whether I really want this kit, unless some resin caster comes up with a proper 4-door body.
However, I could use the underpinnings of the Revell for a Jo-Han if I cut the bonnet open.

Do we know which engine is in the Revell kit? AFAIK the real 90s Broughams only came with either the asthmatic 307Y, or the SBC,
reflecting Cadillac's target clientele being an average of 92 years old at the time.

According to Revell's literature about the car, it's supposed to be a 1984 with the 4.1L engine. The problem of this kit from a factory stock prospective is that it's a mash up of several years worth of De Villes. It's effectively a 1984 with the front clip of a 1990s attached. Ergo it being a "Custom Cadillac" 

Edited by niteowl7710

What's wrong with Dr Cranky's formidable "in the box" review?

Not a thing wrong with Dr Cranky's.  But sometimes, kits change over the years.  So if the new one is any different, it would be nice to see a current review.  That's all.  No offense to Dr Cranky.

What would people suggest for more stock wheels and tires? I have this kit and would like to finish it but the stance has baffled me as I'd prefer a more stock look.

Despite the numerous comments about it not being stock, I but the bullet on some "damaged" 77-79 DeVille wheel covers and white walls from eBay. There's a decent set on the bay as well, but the seller wants almost $30 for them with shipping! 

I'm not skilled enough to make the required modifications to the body, so I'm just gonna build it s course to stock as possible and it will be for enough for me. 

Is this kit sold out already? If so, not too surprising based on previous issues selling out quickly, but dang, that was quick. :huh:

I picked one up about a month ago- went back to the shop today and he still had the other three. They're out there. 

Edited by Chuck Most