Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bruce Larson's Drag Cars Part II

These are the photos I took of his Sentry Olds funny car that he ran in 1989. Actually it is the backup/show car. The one he drove is in the Smithsonian. I took these photos with detail reference in mind. I wanted to see if there were front brakes, what levers there were in the driver's area, where the hoses ran, etc. If I run out of mb allocation, I will have to upload some to flickr and give you guys a link. post-9531-0-14302400-1335306499_thumb.jp

I'm having trouble getting the link to work. Should get it soon...............

Edited by GoatGuy

There's some really excellent stuff there - thanks a million, Dave. I've been wanting to see areas of funny cars like this forever. Especially this period.

I'm amazed to see a barrel valve on each side of the injector.

I also have my oil plumbing answer I posted in the CA Charger thread. Two of your photos definitely show the routing to be like the kit directions show (at least between the remote filters and the pump).

Ted- I wasn't sure if those oil pump pics would help or not. Good to hear they did. Bruce is a great guy. He was shining up the Ivo car and gave me complete access to his funny cars. I have more to post or I can email them to you. I couldn't get good photos of the side of the Vette FC because of its location in the basement, but got a couple good ones of the engine and rear window art. He lives not far, so I can go over and get more pics. He said the dual barrel valves were his mechanic's idea to pump more fuel into the engine.

I'd love to see more. Put them on Photobucket for all to see and/or email at tedsmodeling@gmail.com.

Thanks for the investigative work. It must have been awful to do it!

This is stuff you just can't find researching online - thanks again.

Edited by TedsModeling

Ted- I wasn't sure if those oil pump pics would help or not. Good to hear they did. Bruce is a great guy. He was shining up the Ivo car and gave me complete access to his funny cars. I have more to post or I can email them to you. I couldn't get good photos of the side of the Vette FC because of its location in the basement, but got a couple good ones of the engine and rear window art. He lives not far, so I can go over and get more pics. He said the dual barrel valves were his mechanic's idea to pump more fuel into the engine.

Always can use referance photos, if you can put them on you Flicker account that would work.

The mechanic he was refering to probably was Maynard Yingst, In 1993 Maynard had a brain aneurysm at Houston Raceway Park and died. He was working for Chuck Etchell's at the time of his death

Oh Ted it was brutal torture. No man, I was like a kid in a candy factory. I need to get a bigger card for the camera. My other camera (film) had very low batteries and wouldn't work. I need to find out when the Ivo dragster ships to Indy and go get more pics before that. Also someone requested pics of the inside of the Camaro body. More torture. HA. While I'm there I'm getting one of his t-shirts.

Dave - I need to drive out there and help you suffer. You poor guy.

Thanks for the extra photos. There are things I'm finding that I didn't even know existed.

I'd like to add something to the list of details to research. I'm curious where the fire extinguisher outlets are located. I see the two bottles are connected together and then the outlet lines go somewhere. I would suppose a few cover the engine and a few cover the cockpit.

Edited by TedsModeling

• 2 weeks later...

Hey tbusch-

Bruce said the engineer that designed the two barrel valve idea was Tim Richards, Joe Amato's crew chief.

He also answered my question about the A-arms. The drivers side is welded to the frame, and the pass side is attached with rod ends so they could adjust the stagger and run-in for staging. I had the opportunity to go back there today so I jumped on it. I will have more pics uploaded by Monday.

Also- all the brake rotors they used were solid which was mandatory. I didn't know that. I was about to use vented ones on a kit I am building of that era. Now I know better.

Edited by GoatGuy