Who Remembers?

21 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Owner-Operator Magazine Table Top Trucking? This was 1981, spelled my name wrong, but I got it in the magazine! Back then, that was almost as exciting as winning the lottery.

post-9814-0-61038600-1335379762_thumb.jp

Posted · Report post

i remember i think it was overdrive magazine they used to have the truck of the month and the model truck of the month. but any how thats a really nice build you got there. do you still have that model?

Posted · Report post

Sadly, it's gone. Had the old AutoWorld wheat bulbs for head & taillights W/ battery pack in sleeper. Overdrive & OO were about the best reference material back then. I bought em just for the model page! Thanks for the nice comments.

Posted · Report post

I used to subscribe to both magazines and I actually remember that issue and the story! B)

Where do the years go, they seem to pass so quickly. :(

Posted · Report post

Is the Tidewater Trucker, Lou Kroack still around?

Posted · Report post

Sadly, it's gone. Had the old AutoWorld wheat bulbs for head & taillights W/ battery pack in sleeper. Overdrive & OO were about the best reference material back then. I bought em just for the model page! Thanks for the nice comments.

The original Auto World catalog, in the model truck section had a photo of a truck and trailer with the Swanson logo on it. Anyone remember?

Posted · Report post

Is the Tidewater Trucker, Lou Kroack still around?

Wasn't Phil Jensen the "Tidewater Trucker?"

Posted · Report post

I rember too! back in the 70's I would stand at the counter looking at the models.. A few weeks ago a friend of mind was pickn in his barn and found 2 boxs filled with Overdrive(I think). Bet I spent 2HR looking at model of the month.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wasn't Phil Jensen the "Tidewater Trucker?"

Ok, Lou was the Table Top Trucker.

What about Ken Conklin and Tim MacDonnel.

Edited by chuckyr

Posted · Report post

Thanks for reminding me. I've been trying all day to remember lou's name. Nice guy, we used to talk for what seemed like hrs. late at nite on the phone.

Posted · Report post

Cool.I have a few O/O magizines and about 12 years of Overdrive

Posted · Report post

Lou Kroak is still around and still building. He's really into the 1/50 metal model trucks now. Same as Mark Savage. That Peterbilt is VERY nice and very deserving of being the winning model! Especially way back then! It's a shame we can't see it in color!

Posted · Report post

Lou Kroak is still around and still building. He's really into the 1/50 metal model trucks now. Same as Mark Savage. That Peterbilt is VERY nice and very deserving of being the winning model! Especially way back then! It's a shame we can't see it in color!

He must be into his late 70s. Yes, I remember when he switched over to 1/50th scale models. I remember seeing several of his models in the magazine "Wheels of Time."

Posted · Report post

Great memories. I think someday Tim's name will be part of that list.

Posted (edited) · Report post

WOW!!!!...remember seeing your very nice BIG 359 pete back in 1981 in O/O mag, a superb build indeed. Surely one of the best of 1981.

Can't help notice that this great kit is coming back in original box... in a few weeks :wub:

Edited by ZIL 111V

Posted · Report post

Thanks, I'm blushing! Waiting for the return. reference pictures in hand. At least build something I can see to work on. Tried to find color pics of this truck, but I guess they're gone. It had a lot of detailing for the time, doesn't compare with what you guys are building now.

Posted · Report post

Cool! The only time I was in "Table Top Trucker" was a letter I wrote to Lou about paint jobs - he printed it in a 1975 issue and I still have that issue today.

I spoke to Lou about 10 years ago and sent him a printed out version of The Plastic Cowboy website. He really liked all the great trucks being displayed.

Tim

Posted · Report post

Really nice guy and always full of informatioN. Anything out there on him now?

Posted · Report post

I have a few of the o.o. mag from 1979,and a few from other years put away.

Posted · Report post

;) MCM should make a Lou Kroak article,(one of the best waaaaay back), with a few of is 70's-80's trucks to his newer builtups, would be just great! :rolleyes:

Posted · Report post

That would be a cool article. Kind of a where are they now deal with lou, phil jensen ,etc. Can't remember names, but they were the people that kept us informed back then. Tim?