Model Cars Magazine Forum

STRIPTEASE 49 MERC (The Sultana of Old Burlesque)

Dr. Cranky

Thanks, Mike . . . well, here's some progress, but last night (who knows what kinds of dreams visited upon me!), it occurred to me that this is going to be a two part build, the car, of course, and then the display base, and for the display base I got this idea . . .

I closed my eyes and saw a stage, an old world theater stage with wood floors, a back wall with old red light district wall paper (probably Victorian) and some wall adornments, etc . . . and then a big velvet red curtain with inlaid gold, etc . . . well, you get the idea, and when the curtain opens old fashioned burlesque music will play and the vehicle will appear on the stage.

I think I explain it better here in this video and you can see my dirty little sketch . . . etc . . .

Tim, you betcha, and some mirrors, maybe a hat rack with some father boas on there, etc . . . etc . . . etc . . .

I have to say I was already too late (born in 1962) to have enjoyed any access to old time burlesques of the 40s and 50s, but when I moved to Miami there was an old place called THE GAYETY THEATHER on Miami Beach, next to Wolfie's Diner and I got a chance to see a few shows . . . obviously the visuals have stayed with me all this time. :wub:B):lol:

You know, what drives me crazy about these types of ideas is that I can't stop thinking about them and the possibilities, which is why I never worry about entering a building slump because I know sooner or later a crazy idea like this is going to take over and then I won't stop until I see it through . . .

I'm currently in a frenzy trying to list everything I possibly can about the supplies and materials for this thing, including some art that I plan to use in scale . . .

burlesque1.gif

bon_ton_burlesquers_vintage_burlesque_ad_card-p137397542178290535z85cd_400.jpg

More self-inflicted inspiration:

Bettencourt01-vi.jpg

1949-mercury.jpg

I think thats actually Louis Bettancourt with the car the Ayala Bros built for him. Anyway, thats great inspiration, not many modellers go for the full fadeaway on the Mercury. I love this and the Sam Barris car. Hope to build my version of this one day.

Johnny

Guest JamesDE

Can't wait to see this one Virgil.... You always amaze me with your builds.... I'll try to find a pic of it, but thee is a guy on another forum that made the Revell Merc into a 4 door and opened and hinged it...

Doc, I too am in love with the old fifty type cars, the Merc's, Lincoln's, but I also like the Old Fast Back's from the 40's, the 1948 Buick Roadmaster was my Dream Car!

I'm watching You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mickey1938

Oh ? Did we happen to cast a zombie stripper by chance ? Hmmmm ? Lmao !

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man Donn, you killed me with that!!! Oh, by the way, one of em was...ah...a late night " worker" type :huh::blink: Here was the beginning of one...the one on the left

IMG_96072.jpg

I heard she's...uummm...." cheap " :wacko:

Oh you guys know me all too well. Now I am so excited about this build, I am besides myself. I just got back from HOBBY LOBBY where I raided the crafting isles for all sorts of trinkets and goodies for this build.

It's turning into an all-out PHOTO OP base.

It's going to be DOCTOR CRANKY'S BURLESQUE SHOW!

Wait until you guys see what I am cooking up. Tomorrow I am going over to my buddy's shop (he's a carpenter) and he's going to help me build this shadowbox that will have an ornate (I bought it already) frame for the stage, and this sucker is going to have all sorts of goodies.

Oh me, oh my . . . :wub: :wub: :rolleyes::rolleyes:B)B):lol: :lol:

She'd look good cut into pieces on the front of the Pete ! Let's go , Boyo ! Get them zombies casted up . Good thing Virgil wasn't holding his breath in anticipation of said occurrence , then he really would look like Papa Smurf !

You sure he ain't yet??? LOL!!!! She'd have to be splattered all over the grille & bumper...with a couple of things still hanging around!!!! LOL!!!! I'm trying to git em going man!! I hope to have em out before too long ;)

With a car named "burlesque," it will have to be topless, right?

:P

I thought about it, Harry, but I like the heart shaped idea. We'll see, right now I am going INSANE with the whole PHOTO OP BURLESQUE THEATER idea.

DOCTOR CRANKY'S HOUSE OF BURLESQUE! :lol:

Maybe Cranky will be the topless one!! LOL!!! :blink::wacko::o

What? You want to go blind or something? You want the neighbor's to call the cops? :lol: :lol: :lol: