Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tweedy Pie parts

Dave

The whitewall tires appear to be the Rat Rod units; not exactly like the originals. The parts trees to the right side in the next two pictures (fenders/gas tank, plated wheels and other parts) are new tooling. Apparently the original parts were discarded and/or altered when the kit was first revised away from the original Tweedy Pie configuration in the early Seventies. My original issue kit is missing the gas tank and carburetors with curved intake horns, so I've been waiting for the reissue since first hearing about it. It would have been nice to see wheels and tires that match the originals more closely, but these can be put to use on something else.

Wonder if we'll see the Tweedy Pie/Boss Fink again at some point?

Great to see this kit restored to its original configuration after all this time - especially the box art, which is one of my favorites.

TweedyPie-vi.jpg

I went to the trouble of building a Tweedy Pie a few years ago, which entailed suplementing the version available at the time with the trans kit from R&M and having to send parts out to be plated, finding the right wheels and tires, etc. All in all, a pretty expensive proposition, but worth it all the same. I love that little hot rod!

TweedyLRhigher-vi.jpg

TweedyRF-vi.jpg

The descriptions of this kit that i have read say there is a truck bed option!!!

Did you see those parts?

Joe.

Yes. I believe you can see the parts in the pic above - the sprue with the frame - the bed is the part below it...I'll see if I can get a shot posted

866c2cf4.jpg

Edited by Erik Smith

Great to see this kit restored to its original configuration after all this time - especially the box art, which is one of my favorites.

TweedyPie-vi.jpg

I went to the trouble of building a Tweedy Pie a few years ago, which entailed suplementing the version available at the time with the trans kit from R&M and having to send parts out to be plated, finding the right wheels and tires, etc. All in all, a pretty expensive proposition, but worth it all the same. I love that little hot rod!

TweedyLRhigher-vi.jpg

TweedyRF-vi.jpg

Your model came out lookin' great and while I already have the Tweedy Pie 2 kit I won't be buying the latest re-release as the idea of buying even MORE kits for the "stash" pile is getting old as I'll NEVER build them all or even half of them.

Steve! That's a great Tweedy Pie. What paint did you use because it looks spot on?

Thanks! Wish I could remember better what the paint is (one of these days I'll learn to take notes), but from what I can recall I used some metallic purple Testors enamel that looked close, but may have modified it a little with a few drops of another color. I was just shooting for something that looked "about right" based on photos I've seen.

You put all that work into something and you think you could never forget what went into it but awhile later it's "Now how did I do that agan?".

Right, and while I like keeping a case full of finished builds and try to take satisfaction in what I've accomplished, on the other hand once I'm done with a build it's "on to the next one". For me, the process is maybe 90% of why I build models. Otherwise, we'd all just be buying finished diecasts, right?

I hope that doesn't come off too arty or cerebral - it's just the way I look at it.

I picked one up today, and it's a great kit to have back after all these years, but am a little dissapointed at the new tool wheels, and the use of the rat rod tires. I'm thinking the wheels and tires from the Beatnick Bandit would bring back the "old" Revell look to Tweedy Pie.

Yes. I believe you can see the parts in the pic above - the sprue with the frame - the bed is the part below it...I'll see if I can get a shot posted

866c2cf4.jpg

Thanks for the detail shot. Did Roth ever build it with the truck bed? The kit is definitely on my list.

thanks again,

joe.

I haven't seen the new kit yet, but there is a good point about them using the Rat Rod tires. Those tires were designed to fit old Revell wheels, so the new wheels should be sized like Sixties-era Revell wheels and fit the original tires. So if you have the original tires (or somebody casts them in resin) it should be an easy swap.

>Did Roth ever build it with the truck bed?

the tweedy pie was a car that ed roth bought and then mildly customized if anything. it wasnt really his creation though, just had some touches. at least i believe thats the story.

I think they did a fine job on the new parts - at least now you can build a replica of the original without a lot of fuss.

The kit is still missing the Baby Moons that the real car is almost always seen with, but I can't imagine a parts box without a set of those...!

>Did Roth ever build it with the truck bed?

the tweedy pie was a car that ed roth bought and then mildly customized if anything. it wasnt really his creation though, just had some touches. at least i believe thats the story.

Yes, that's pretty much the story. The car was originally built with a flat head by Bob Johnston in the mid-fifties. Most people believe that Roth put the SBC in, but I've also seen that story called into question.

A pretty detailed history here: http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Tweedy_Pie