Model Cars Magazine Forum

Firebird - Super Sedan SS/A... (update 3/6/12)

Kanedge

Hi everyone, welcome to my new build which hopefully I will be able to keep up and do another WIP.

After the disastrous effort of my last build (62 Thunderbird) which ended up being thrown across the room and stomped on, I'm actually excited about building this one.

It's been about 20 years since I built any drag model, so I'm not really sure how I'll go with this, I want to make it a bit detailed, but not over the top.

The inspiration I have gotten from you guys here on this site has been amazing, so I hope I can live up to your standards.

I have the colour scheme worked out for this, well in my head it looks good.

Essentially, the idea for this, is if it were my team and car that I am running. Sponsors are sorted and everyone is excited to be involved.

Not much of a start, just been cleaning up the body and started cleaning the rollcage, very tedious.

These are the wheels I think I will use, Pegasus, yet to be painted, but I think the rear tyres are too big, so I might have to go back the original kit ones.

Not sure which motor I will use, kit or I have this Ross Gibson one, I like the idea of a 811 cu inch motor.

I'm thinking that this build will suit the Top Sportsman class, TS/A, 'A' unsupercharged. Basically any motor, configuration, the car has to run faster than 8.5 seconds with a dial your own handicap.

I'm hoping it will run low 6's.

Anyway, thanks for looking, comments are welcome, please go easy on me.

Kane.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by Kanedge

Looks very good so far! I'm gonna keep watching this build since it looks pretty interesting. Wheels and tires look very good, but I think that they are just perfect size. Ross Gibson engine looks good too, I've been thinking of ordering few of those...

The idea you have sounds good Kane, the firebird is looking pretty good, I also agree with Niko, I think the tires go well, the Ross Gibson engine might be a good choice (I have the Next Generation 815" Semi-Hemi that's going into my Nova build, of which I should be posting some more pics of hopefully next week), glad to see you have everything planned out (for the moment anyway!)paint,sponsers etc. I think I'll continue to check this build out.

Looking good so far, I'll be following along.

Just as an FYI to anyone that is a fan of that Firebird match racer kit, it's being re-issued next month in a limited run. There is a vendor on eBay taking preorders and selling them for under $17. Pretty good for what had become a rare and pricey kit.

Looking good so far, I'll be following along.

Just as an FYI to anyone that is a fan of that Firebird match racer kit, it's being re-issued next month in a limited run. There is a vendor on eBay taking preorders and selling them for under $17. Pretty good for what had become a rare and pricey kit.

Thanks for the heads up i was thinking of this one recently..

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, not much to show because work has been busy lately.

It feels like all I have been doing is cleaning up the roll cage, but anyway, I have got it built, looks quite good and fits at least. I can see why the masters on here end up building their own cage, think it would have been easier and more accurate. I had to add small pins to try and make it stronger and easier to build too, otherwise I would have broken it a lot from handling.

Thanks for looking, hope to start working on the engine next and see if I can get it to fit.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Kane, This is looking to be an exciting build to watch! I have a couple of these kits that I'll hopefully get to building one day.

BTW the size of the wheels and tires look perfect.

This kit is based on the earlier Monogram 1/24 scale Pro Stock cars. Some changes were made to the wheel wells and the roll cage but it's essentially the same. I compared one of these to a Monogram Iaconio P/S Camaro and the chassis is the exact same size.

Mike.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally a bit of an update, I have been slowly plugging away at this when I'm not working.

And this is where I'm at:

Managed to spray the roll cage and chassis. The roll cage I sprayed with Alclad steel and the chassis is Alclad dark aluminium. I sprayed the inside of the wheel wells black to hide all the rubber from my burnouts.

I carbon fibered the transmission tunnel, wheels tubs and back parcel shelf using Crazy Modeller carbon fibre.

I also worked on the wheelie bars tonight, should be able to paint them tomorrow and maybe even install, wow, I actually feel like I'm getting somewhere.

As always, thanks for looking, more to come soon hopefully.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Kane.... This is going to be a very nice project. That chassis is looking great and I love how you did the carbon fiber on the transmissions tunnel. I love also the little details of putting the Dzus fasteners on it as well. keep up the great work on it. Wheelie bars look great too

Thats a nice looking project that you have going. The carbon fiber adds just the right touch to the interior. Anxious to see what you do with this build. As Mike mentioned, the chassis in this kit is based on the old Monogram Pro Stock kits that were issued several years ago and its a 1/24 scale. If you have the instruction sheet that came with your Model King reissue kit it will tell you on the front page that its a 1/24 scale along with other info about the car. Keep up your neat looking work!

Edited by Mister Twister