Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th 69 Camaro ProMod 7/22/14 motor painted

Romell R

Hey thanks fellas for all the positive support .....I was able to get a lil work done on the motor today, I made a valve cover and it only took me 4 hours :blink: LOL! anyway I hope you enjoy.

mockupsvalvecovers001.jpg

mockupsvalvecovers002.jpg

mounted on the head

mockupsvalvecovers005.jpg

mockupsvalvecovers004.jpg

mockupsvalvecovers003.jpg

Thats all folks! Cya again real soon...... B)

Edited by Romell R

It looks very good, I like the engine. It may look bit rough now for someone's eye, but I know that since I've been working with same methods and I've built one Tube Frame and rear frame from brass. Once primered, everything looks so smooth and much nicer. I can't wait to see for more.

Thats a great Idea!!!

You probably will not want to have cured, expanding foam meeting liquid mold rubber. The rubber will seep into the foam's pores and at the very least, your molds will be heavily damaged when you attempt to remove the parts. Think about the foam and rubber meeting (and bonding) in every depression, cylinder bore, water jacket, etc.

Do you plan to make the second engine out of brass, too? I don't envy all the sanding and polishing you'll need to do to make the parts smooth enough to cast, especially in between and around the runners on the tunnel ram. You might also consider making the tunnel ram as two pieces instead of one so it's easier to cast.

Is there a specific reason you used tubing instead of rod stock to make the crank journals?

You probably will not want to have cured, expanding foam meeting liquid mold rubber. The rubber will seep into the foam's pores and at the very least, your molds will be heavily damaged when you attempt to remove the parts. Think about the foam and rubber meeting (and bonding) in every depression, cylinder bore, water jacket, etc.

Do you plan to make the second engine out of brass, too? I don't envy all the sanding and polishing you'll need to do to make the parts smooth enough to cast, especially in between and around the runners on the tunnel ram. You might also consider making the tunnel ram as two pieces instead of one so it's easier to cast.

Is there a specific reason you used tubing instead of rod stock to make the crank journals?

.Thanks for the insight on the casting , I will take it all into consideration. Im no longer making a second motor. And the sanding and polishing is the easy part when you have the right tools. The reason I used tube instead of rod is because tube heats faster than solid rod does therefore I can solder a part on faster and not have to worry about over heating or heat spread and other parts comming apart.

whether you guys know it or not. the cranks in these motors have hollow rod rournals and hollow mains. so the piece you modelled, romell, is actually quite accurate.

winbergcrankshaft2001.jpg

Thanks Dave good to know I was accurate with that piece, its always good to have guys around who know thier stuff. Edited by Romell R

]The reason I used tube instead of rod is because tube heats faster than solid rod does therefore I can solder a part on faster and not have to worry about over heating or heat spread and other parts comming apart.

Ah, that makes sense.

Are you no longer planning to make copies of the engine?

whether you guys know it or not. the cranks in these motors have hollow rod rournals and hollow mains. so the piece you modelled, romell, is actually quite accurate.

Yes, it is, but just to clarify, my comment was made in regards to Romell planning to cast copies of the engine parts, as those hollow passages would be very difficult to pull off with traditional rubber molds. If he's no longer doing that, nevermind...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...