Model Cars Magazine Forum

I know of one all new model kit to be introduced- The TUCKER

The 1948 Tucker! The desire for this goes back at least as far as the AMT/ERTL surveys. It always made the list. The Tucker frequently makes current lists of most requested kits. The Tucker appears as a “Mint” die cast (actually, two different Mints do a Tucker). It is done in resin. It was the subject of a movie by Francis Ford Coppola (who, at the time, owned two real Tuckers) that starred Jeff Bridges.

So when is the model kit being produced?

Oh, I never said when, or even who! I can’t even say it as fact. Sorry. It’s just something I feel inside. Every year, we get a few all new tools, and with such gems as the Hornet, the Chrysler 300, the upcoming ’50 Olds… when you mix all that in with my previous comments, I just have a feeling about it. Meantime, I don’t plan to lose any sleep waiting for it, which is why I won’t be ranting on and on why they should make one. Until I do, I have plenty of other kits to keep me entertained. It’s a desire, not a reason to develop an ulcer!

There is one downer in this “sure thing” I feel… that every new tool must produce several versions to maximize investment. I have no idea how the model kit could produce alternative versions.

So, how about it? Do you agree? And what other ways could the tooling be “milked”?

TUCKER-vi.jpg

Edited by Jon Cole

Guest Johnny

Rare? - you bet.

Valuable? - certainly

Ground breaking? - yepper

Ugly as all get out? - Oh my yes..

I have zero interest in this.

Not in 1948!

But as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I see it as a piece of art! I would love to see it in plastic! But it has been done so many times in diecast it is doubtful.

Oh, and one other attribute... the '48 Tucker is now a million + dollar auction/collector car. That meaning, it joins a rare club of big dollar cars. Maybe if worth more in 1:1, then maybe more worthy in plastic kit?

Edited by Jon Cole

It was entered in one race in 1950. It didn't even finish the first lap. So much for Tuckers and racing.

*~pop!~* Oh well. But, it did enter. Still, I don't see the Nascar version as a viable 2nd kit version.

I'd hate to be Don Holthaus. He has a really nice cubside resin kit, but that just won't cut it for some! :lol:

I seriously doubt I'd personally buy one (unless I got the itch to build one of Ida's 'Lower 48' customs), but for all the times I've seen this one brought up in 'most wanted' polls and mentioned in 'wish they made x' conversations, I don't doubt it would be at least a modest success.

the Tucker is/was a fascinating car, and striking to look at. as an icon of the energy and imagination of the postwar US, it's surprising that so far no plastic kit has been done. that said, i don't see it being a shoe-in for the "next big thing".... there's the few diehard factory stock builders who'd snap up a handful, and the custom builders for half that number again. the rest would doubtless end up on the clearance shelf as a bad risk for the makers. the problem as i see it, is the same as for the 1:1 car; it's a highly specialized and unique machine, unlike any other car of it's time in almost every respect. tooling up a complete kit from which almost NO variants could be derived except phantoms would be laughed out of the boardroom. it would be a fabulous kit to build, though....

Seeing that it is available from two mints, the Modelhaus, from two 1:18 scale diecasters, and several 1:43 manufacturers, I could not possibly care less. The Tucker is more catered for as a model than ever was necessary. Please invest the tooling budget into something less represented in model from.