Model Cars Magazine Forum

Humbrol Metalcote

G'day guys, I'm wondering if anyone has used Humbrol Metalcote 27001 and 27002 and what kind of results they got. I've just airbrushed my entire 1/8 scale E-type Jag and now I'm not sure about the end result or whether to ,leave it, coat with Glosscote, or recoat and see what happens.

Kind regards Michael from the left coast of the big island down under.

G'day guys, I'm wondering if anyone has used Humbrol Metalcote 27001 and 27002 and what kind of results they got. I've just airbrushed my entire 1/8 scale E-type Jag and now I'm not sure about the end result or whether to ,leave it, coat with Glosscote, or recoat and see what happens.

Kind regards Michael from the left coast of the big island down under.

If memory serves, 27001 is meant to replicate aluminum and 27002 is supposed to look like polished aluminum. Which one did you spray? Was it your intent to give the car a bare metal look (bodies were actually steel) or were you trying to attain a certain shade of silver?

I'd say it would probably be best if you found out how much set-up time this paint requires, then follow Carl's advice and polish it out with a soft cloth.

I've airbrushed regular Humbrol enamels but nothing from the Metalcote line. Do they spray well?

Michael; I have been using the metalcotes for years; and I like them.... I have found a couple tricks with these paints to make them look good; and give a pretty realistic metal appearance.

1. They seem to work best on unprimed plastic....I think they just "shell" better that way; as primer is softer under the shell; and when you attempt polishing; the primer actually absorbs the force you need to put down to actually polish the finish.

2. when airbrushing the metalcotes....wetter is better! These are ultra high solids paints; when you spray them really thin or dry; you do not allow enough material to bed; and form the hard shiny shell necessary to get the metal "look" On small parts a wet brush application has always worked best for me.

3. If you are spraying onto a complete body; spray wet, let flash; them spray another wet coat and let dry....about 3 days has been what I found works well.

4. Polishing is the KEY with the humbrol metals....I use polishing product like pearl drops tooth polish; with very little pressure during the rub to bring the metal finish up.

I hope these tips help Matt

Edited by monkeyclaw